obamacare covered california?

When applying for Obamacare in Ca thru Covered Care in California you need to submit your tax returns. I have not done my 2012 or 2013 tax returns. In Feb I will be doing my 2012 tax returns. Can I still apply for insurance? Do I need to wait to file my 2013 tax returns also before applying? I have insurance now thru Cobra.

• lare
    Favorite Answer

you have insurance now, but Cobra will expire for you in a few months. so you can take that time to get your affairs in order. the tax returns are needed to be able to calculate if you will get a subsidy. you can estimate income for the purpose of determining if you are required to have insurance at all or qualify for MediCal, you don't need income to get a full price quote. you don't need to go to Covered Care to get a full price quote either, you can just ask your agent, perhaps the one that handles your Cobra. how in the heck did you manage to not file returns, and live in California no less.

• Kini

You dont have to do your tax return if you know your income last year. You have until March 31 to get insurance.

Stick with Cobra. Obamacare is the real snake here.

• John

The VA has never asked for my tax returns, and its better medical coverage.

IIRC, they let you estimate your income for the relevant years. This will, of course, although not in your case I suspect, result in massive fraud. But then, what's new when it comes to government programs.