KayL asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 7 years ago

Have any more HeLa cells been found in another human since 1954?

And do you think these cells can somehow be cloned into a new species evolved from humans?

Favorite Answer

No new HeLa cells have been found, because the term refers to a cell line derived from an individual, who died long ago. New cell lines have been created, though. I don't think any are quite as robust as HeLa cells, but there are plenty that do well in culture (I use various cell lines in the lab all the time, some of which are easier to culture than others).

HeLa cells may have been derived from humans, but as a species (I'm not entirely convinced that they're truly a species) they're single celled, and will be for the foreseeable future. They were originally human cells, but they've undergone a LOT of mutation, and they're full of abnormalities in their chromosomes. That's one of the reasons why they were such an aggressive cancer, and why they can survive so well outside of the body. It also means that the chances of assembling them into a multicellular organism are pretty much non-existent.