Are these good character names?

Okay, so I just finished writing a book and am entering the editing process. I have a few characters I need help naming

Main Character: She is very emotionally strong, but very hurt by events in her past (father passed away.) She often second guesses herself throughout the story, but begins to become stronger as it ends.

Names that I like:

Ember (This is the name I originally choose. Btw, she goes by Emmy)

Jade

Faith

Emma

Emily

(Feel free to suggest different names if these ones don't seem to fit :) )

Main Character's Mom: Although they have both been through a lot together, her and her daughter often fight and argue. She begins to realize her husband was the only thing that brought them together in the first place.

Name that I choose:

Robin (I'm just not too sure I like it. Feel free to suggest others)

Lastly, I need some names for the main characters friends. Two are boys, and one is a girl

The list of boys names I like (remember, feel free to give suggestions of others for and of these lists :) )

Dylan

Kyle

Eric

Parker

Tyler

Chris

Kent

Taylor

Seth

Evan

Girls Names:

Madeline

Mandy

Sara

Natalie

Marissa

Melissa

Stephanie

Kate

Anna

Hannah

Shannon

Nicole

Thanks so much to everyone who answers :). If you have any questions about your characters feel free to link them with your answer.

Best Answer

I like Ember best out of the girls names, especially Emmy. The only thing is that it's a little out there as a name; are at least one of her parents eccentric? If so, it's great, but if they're both button down nine to five kind of people, it's kind of a random name.

I think Robin is good for the mom. If you really don't like it though, use a baby name list and just go back to names from 40-50 years ago and you should find some cool alternatives.

As for the boy's, I've always had a super soft spot for the name Seth, so it's my personal favorite off the list, but I like Evan and Chris and Eric too (Note: Don't do both Evan and Eric though. Too many E's, especially with Ember. It seems like a small thing, but you don't want people confusing names).

As for the girl, I like Natalie or Shannon. I read a book the other day with a Natasha and they called her Nat, and I think it could be a cool nickname for Natalie too.

Good luck!

• ?

I like the name Ember. I always hoped to use it a story one day. Second choice from that list would be Faith. Emma and Emily are too similar to Ember, and I prefer Ember. Jade I'm just not keen on.

I like Robin. You could always try spelling it a different way, see if you like it better - Robyn or Robynne.

I love the name Seth so that gets first choice from me. Second choice would be Chris or Taylor. I particularly don't like Parker or Kent.

From the girls names I like either Kate or Anna best. They're both very simple but very pretty. Second choice would be Natalie or Sara. I particularly don't like Shannon or Stephanie.

Yeah, that's a pretty good list!

The only thing I don't like is the name Ember? I feel that Amber might be better