Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 7 years ago

Is it worth taking the Ancestry DNA test?

Hi my name is Michelle i'm 16 years old. I just want to know if the Ancestry DNA test accurate or not since i've always wanted to know what my ethnicity is. All I know is that i'm mostly Mexican than anything I am. Anyways is it worth it? Does the test tell you what your ethnicity is from your ancestors from millions of years ago? I also want to know why do siblings have different percentages of ethnicity? I don't want any inaproppiate answers please.

• Favorite Answer

Michelle,

Even though you are Mexican, you should learn proper English...your narrative is full of errors.

Sorry, I do not believe that humans had ancestors millions of years ago; the Out of Africa theorists claim that people came out of Africa between 70 to 125 thousand years ago, a long way from a million. The Neandertal, though, did rule Europe and the Middle East for 500,000 years, so maybe it is possible. Between 2% and 4% of the DNA of Europeans is from the Neandertal.

So, is the DNA test worth it? Yes. I traced, via the paper trail, my ancestry all over Europe and the Middle East and my DNA test confirmed it.

However, DNA tests have a lot of drawbacks: they will not provide names, addresses, occupations, religious views, political views, etc. but only a hazy notion of where in the world your ancestors came from.

Another drawback: 10 generations ago you had a potential of 1,024 ancestors; only 2 of them provide a living person with their DNA. That leaves 1,022 ancestors whose DNA would not show up in a test.

Females can be tested only for the mtDNA (which traces you to your mother, to her mother, to her mother, in a straightline back to Eve. Males can be tested for the mtDNA and the yDNA which traces a male to his father, to his father, to his father, back to Adam.

Each generation the DNA a person receives from an ancestor is halved: 50% from a parent, 25% from a grandparent, 12.5% from a great grandparent. 5 generations ago it would be 3.125%; 10 generations ago not even a tenth of one percent (1/1,024) so DNA tests focus mainly about 5 - 10 generations ago.

Are you Mexican? Or are your ancestors from Mexico? Anyway (never anyways) start with your birth certificate and work backwards one generation at a time using birth/marriage/death certificates. In Mexico, one of the best genealogical sources is the Catholic Church.

1

Source(s): Any Record Search Database - http://anyrecords.oruty.com/?hEp

Marci has given you a good answer. I don't think DNA testing in isolation of traditional genealogy work using documents/records is all that helpful. I agree with Nothinguseful that Catholic records are the very best, baptismal, confirmation, marriage and death records maintained by parishes. Some of your family might have certificates from the churches of their ancestors.

Why are the percentages different between siblings? They have to use Autosomal DNA. That is what most of your DNA is. It is the DNA that determines how you look genetically, any alleles for health issues you might have among other things. You get it 50-50 from both parents but not necessarily 25% from each of your 4 grandparents. The reason why when your parents passed on the Autosomal they received from their parents to you it was randomly jumbled and recombined. Therefore what you inherited can be biased between grandmother and grandfather on both sides of the family. How you inherited any bias will not be how your siblings inherited it. While your Autosomal DNA might be similar to your siblings it won't be exact unless you have an identical twin. So this can mean, for example, you might have more Autosomal DNA from Spanish ancestry and a sibling might have more Autosomal from Indigenous ancestors. We all get bits and pieces of Autosomal from our ancestors going back in time and you don't always get the same bits and pieces your siblings do. Now the only thing they can do is match you with population samples they have. It has been reported if you go to more than one company the results will vary. That is no doubt that one might be deficient in or not have certain population samples another has and vice versa.

Ancestry has greatly improved their ethnic predictions, but they only sell their tests in the U.S. so their database may not be as representative of your Mexican heritage as you might wish.

If you really want to take the test primarily for the ethnic predictions, I would suggest using 23andMe. They are generally considered to have the most accurate predictions, and have the largest database.

That being said, autosomal DNA testing is only about 4 years old, and the science is learning more all the time. This means that in a few years I expect we will look back and be amazed at how much more we know.

You might consider researching your personal family history now and waiting a few years to take the DNA test after you have a well researched tree to compare with distant cousins. FamilySearch.org has an excellent collection of Mexican genealogical records. And best of all they're free.

Your second question: we each inherit about 50% of our DNA from each parent, but siblings don't necessarily inherit the same 50%. One might inherit more from one grand parent and the other almost nothing. We call it the DNA lottery.

Dear Nothinguse...

The DNA test that ancestry is using now is not the former "female" limited DNA. Rather the X & Y.

The Mormon Church has the most extensive records, being raised Catholic, I could only sense that they do filter what they will expose, esp. adoptions and orphanages. Ellis Island has all the manifestos of the passengers.

For this young lady Michelle, she's probably as mixed as Northern Europeans, when you consider the

number of wars, which spread as much DNA around as bullets.

But. yes the DNA will give you much to go on.

Thanks. Christina

• Maxi

Accurate as in what the company have in their database, depends on when and who you test with with get different results.... so they are accurate as far as what they have...not accurate as to tell you what your own ethnicity is

YOUR ethnicity is the country of your birth and/or where you were birn/brought up in your home and the community yYOU live in YOUR own cultures, YOUR own customs, YOUR own affiliations and YOUR own associations, so the language YOU speak the food YOU eat etc etc your ancestor millions of years ago is nothing at all to do with YOU ethnicity.............

No oe comes in bits and pirece fractions or percentages, you are a whole human being, not bit and pieces of your ancestry..........

Research your ancestry that will tell you accuratly who your ancestor were as long as you do it properly and not copy and paste from websites searching surnames thinking that is how you do it

NO ONE and NO DNA test can tell you who your ancestors were millions of years ago...................

Well that first azzmunch who answered should be shot in the face with high powered rifle....twice. ANYWAYS...