Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 7 years ago

As a college student, would I prefer Medi-Cal or Covered California?

I beleive I made too little money to get insurance through Covered California. is this a bad thing? what is Medi-Cal and what are my other options

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Zarnev
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Medi-Cal is California's version of welfare. If your household income (not just yours, and if you live in the dorms you still have to include parent income) is less than 138% of the Federal Poverty Level you'll be placed on welfare. Be aware that very few doctors accept welfare and the only coverage out of state is a bona fied emergency.

If your household income is between 138% and 400% you may qualify for a subsidy.

If you qualify for the subsidy you'll need to apply through Covered California. If you don't qualify you can still apply through CC or you can purchase your plan off of the website. Be aware that plans off of the website are the same as on the website but the doctor networks are generally larger.

If you don't want welfare you do not have to take it. I have clients that qualified for welfare but rejected it because their doctors didn't accept welfare.

Source(s): Independent Ägent, ACA Certified Broker
  • 7 years ago

In addition, to what Zarnev said, regarding your student status in California:

The UCs require that you have health insurance. Medi-Cal or medicaid from another state does not qualify. If you don't show proof of other insurance, the school will add on health insurance as part of your student fees.

Both the Cal States and all CA community colleges offer insurance to their students but it's not required.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Apply for insurance under CoveredCA. If you qualify for Medi-Cal, you will be directed to complete that application. Medi-Cal is the same as Medicaid in other states.

• 7 years ago

Medi-Cal is California's version of Medicaid. It is not the world's greatest insurance, but the government pays for some or all of the cost, so you pay nothing or much less than it really costs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Med-Cal is welfare - Medicaid. Covered California is the state website, that helps you pick your health plan, and helps determine if you qualify for welfare.

If you can afford college - however you are affording it - that counts as income, and most likely will disqualify you for welfare.

Your best option is probably either being on a parent's policy, or signing up for the college plan.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.