me asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 7 years ago

why don't stamps have a used mark any more?

I've notied lately that postage stamps are no longer stamped by the post office as used any more. Is that because the post office is saving money by doing this, or is it that they think that people are too lasy to take them off and reuse them?

Invisible Ink Stamp

The post offices uses invisible ink to cancel stamps today and you can see by holding the stamp under a black light. If someone tries to reuse a stamp they will get caught.

However I don't have an answer as to why the post office uses invisible ink instead of using black ink.

..

The UV ink they use to cancel the stamps simply carried over from their routing marks. They were already using UV ink to machine-sort items, so they saved money by using the same system to cancel the stamps, thereby cutting out the purchase of extra ink just to put visible cancellation marks on envelopes. And yes, they do look for re-used stamps in letters mailed. This is defrauding the USPS and they fine you for it.