Opal asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 years ago

Tai chi for anti-anxiety purposes?

Hi, yes. So I've been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks since the beginning of last year and have since been put on Clonazepam 0.5 mg tablets to help this. They work well but I was wondering if an internal martial art like tai chi could help combat these feelings of overwhelming anxiety. In general, I'm not a competitive person, I'm not one to show off, and I probably couldn't hurt anyone even if I tried. I'm also short and heavy set. If that helps. I'm financially compromised, unfortunately, so taking classes right away would be out of the question. But in the future I think any knowledge on the martial art would be helpful. Any personal experiences would be appreciated as well.

Favorite Answer

It is controlling your thought-process that you really want. In this case, there are breathing meditation techniques that you can easily learn from the internet. Once you are familiar with this meditation technique you will need to advance to mindfulness meditation with which you are taught to watch the rising and falling of your emotions and thoughts. However, this mindfulness meditation may be a problem as it is not readily available in the internet, but if there is a Theravaden Buddhist temple in your area, you may be able to learn both methods at the same place. The meditation master there may teach for free. Meditation is the best and quickest way to control your anxiety and panic attacks.

One last word: taiji may be said to be a form of moving meditation besides the martial aspect, but the meditative part is seldom taught. Of the "three treasures" that a taiji-exponent aspires to harness, ie Jing (essence), Qi (energy), and shen (spiritual), the last treasure, shen, the spiritual attainment, comes after decades of practice (with instructions). You may not want to wait that long and there is no promise that you can achieve the three treasures in that order, yes, it has to be in that sequence; you can't jump the gun.

Tai Chi has been used to help people with stress and anxiety in the past before, and so has Chi Kung (Qigong). They're remarkably well at it, too, but finding the right place to learn from is easier said than done.

Traditionally, Tai Chi is a self defense martial art, but due to it's slow and controlled movements, breathing exercises, and meditative like discipline, it can also be used for health benefits. If you're not after the self defense part of it, then it wouldn't hurt to try DVDs, or even online videos, which aren't ideal for learning a martial art, but several have enough to teach for the healing benefits of it. I don't know of any from the top of my head, but you can search for any you feel comfortable with. Also, being short or heavy isn't a factor. If standing for a long time is a concern, there are seated versions.

Before trying Tai Chi, though, I would recommend Chi Kung, or something Chi Kung related, such as Zazen meditation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDJ_wbjBL6c

Youtube thumbnail

Though not a permanent solution, if you're ever uncomfortable with taking such drugs, there are natural alternatives. The herb Kava Kava is a potent stress reliever. I've used it before in the past, and it really does work. Lobelia is also a good herb, but less potent than Kava Kava, which is actually ideal for some people. Kava Kava is strong where Lobelia is mild, but effective.

Again, I highly recommend looking into breathing exercises above all else. Zazen has done wonders for me. Any simple Chi Kung is great, and you see the effects pretty soon, too, if you keep practicing daily.

You really need to check out "The Depth Factor" meditation program, it's the best, it's been voted as the number 1 meditation program made so far. Here is their official web-site: http://www.thedepthfactor.net

It combines binaural beats and ancient meditation techniques to deliver the best meditation experience. This is perfect course for a beginner or an intermediate. Good luck!

Taiji is one of those martial arts that has been corrupted the most. It is very difficult to find someone who will teach Taiji correctly let alone as a martial art if you are not training in China.

Nevertheless, since you are looking at Taiji to relieve your anxiety more than learning a martial art I think with the right teacher you can still get the relaxation part of it which could help you to calm down and be OK with your life as things are happening without feeling everything is caving in on you. I have to say it definitely has influenced my way of thinking and the way I approach things. I don't nearly worry about as many things as I used to and they still work out just fine. Life overall is a lot less stressful that way.

Taiji does not have to be competitive at all. You can compete with it if you want but usually there is no pressure to do so. If you don't like fighting you can also just compete in forms in Taiji. But I would not worry about competitions for now if I was you.

Bottom line is it is really is a matter of finding the right teacher.