Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 6 years ago

Is the Confederate flag racist?

Is the flag racist?

I'd prefer an explanation as to why it is or isn't racist? It isn't a coincidence that I picked the Confederate flag out of every other flag in the world and asked if it was racist. Thanks! Appreciate any and all answers!

Favorite Answer

No.

It isn't the flag that you fly that makes you a racist.

I am from the North, I own 2.

To me it means I still enjoy Southern Rock.

It is what in my heart that matters, not the Flag that I fly.

I fly The American flag during good weather and daylight.

I also, will on occasion, fly at a lower level, The flag of Israel and the (gasden/Gadsen) flag.

No I am a Black Man Living in Australia and I fly one outside my home as a Protest against Federal Government interference is States Rights

Lincoln Proved he was a Racist with his if you stay in the Union I will let you keep your slaves until 1900 speech

Proving it was only States Rights that caused the war

I also have a British east Indian company Flag some call it US flag But the Canton has a Union flag and not the stars used by the USA

No. I wear Confederate flags because, although if am English, I have a love of rockabilly and that flag is a celebration of its roots in the southern states. That's why a lot of people wear them, but narrow-minded left-wing types can't get there heads around some sh*t that happened hundreds of years ago so they just scream 'racist' whenever they see it because they have an unfathomable belief that everyone should be forced to share their ignorant, self-righteous beliefs.

Obviously, I love racism when I listen to Chuck Berry et al.

no. it's a flag.

.....if we deem it to be so, then shouldn't ANY state flag that survived from the secession era be deemed so?

....shouldn't the crescent moon and palm of the SC flag also be banned as "insensitive?...any student of history knows that the "palmetto flag" flew as proudly over many a Civil War battlefield as the "stars & bars"...

...oh wait, you mean those are acceptable because nobody really associates those SYMBOLS with racism?

...ok then, you just answered your own question... is it the FLAG that's racist or the ASSOCIATIONS that you place on it?

....and are those associations the product of all your historical research... or from what you have seen on TV and in pop culture?

no it is not. its a flag, nothing more. if you want be picky, then the u.s. flag is a racist symbol. their were slaves living under the u.s. flag for 80 or so years, and under the rebel flag for about 5 years. you figure it out.

Larry obviously does not know his history. The civil war was faught over much more then slaves. I bet he loves obama too

It represents a group of people who wanted to separate from America to hold on to their ways of using other human beings as slaves. Not only does the flag represent racism but, it's also Anti-American.

The short answer is yes.

It symbolizes racism for most people, but i suppose not for everybody. I personally find it offensive when i see one.