Why do we have a Martin Luther King day?

I agree that he was a great leader, a voice of peace in a violent era, dedicated to equality in all people, etc. But, Should he be the only person in US history to have a holiday named for him? That would imply that he was the most important man in our history. I don't think that he was. Certainly I would... show more I agree that he was a great leader, a voice of peace in a violent era, dedicated to equality in all people, etc. But, Should he be the only person in US history to have a holiday named for him? That would imply that he was the most important man in our history. I don't think that he was. Certainly I would put Washington above him. The framers of the Constitution. Certain military leaders perhaps. Maybe another President or two.
Update: I would like it better if we recognized all who put forth an effort to steer our country towards equality in all ways, not necessarily just racially. Call it Civi Rights Day and honor all the other people , white and black and everyone else, who worked toward the cause of equality in racve, gender, sexual... show more I would like it better if we recognized all who put forth an effort to steer our country towards equality in all ways, not necessarily just racially. Call it Civi Rights Day and honor all the other people , white and black and everyone else, who worked toward the cause of equality in racve, gender, sexual persuasion and all other issues.
Update 2: "My point is President's day, not named for a singular one. And Columbus? His work predates our country by almost three centuries.
Update 3: If you think that Dr.King was only important for blacks, you have not been paying attention.