Why do we have a Martin Luther King day?

I agree that he was a great leader, a voice of peace in a violent era, dedicated to equality in all people, etc. But, Should he be the only person in US history to have a holiday named for him? That would imply that he was the most important man in our history. I don't think that he was. Certainly I would... show more I agree that he was a great leader, a voice of peace in a violent era, dedicated to equality in all people, etc. But, Should he be the only person in US history to have a holiday named for him? That would imply that he was the most important man in our history. I don't think that he was. Certainly I would put Washington above him. The framers of the Constitution. Certain military leaders perhaps. Maybe another President or two.
Update: I know who he was, how and what he did. I still want to know why his stature has been elevated above all others. Above, let's say, Washington, FDR, Jefferson and Madison, etc.