How do you clone a hard drive on windows 7?

I just bout a 128gb samsung SSD. My current HDD is 700gb (I'm only using 90gb) and is inside my samsung series 7 chronos laptop.

What is the easiest way to clone my hard drive onto my ssd? Are there any free programs?

I tried a few programs, but the main issue is that it wont let me copy data from a larger hard drive onto a smaller one, even though I am only using 90gb on my larger hard drive (which is my HDD). My ssd has 128gb capacity, so shouldn't I be able to clone my HDD onto my SSSD?

Matt: It wont allow me to partition the HDD to less than 300GB or so. How can I resolve this? Thanks for your help.

• Matt
    Favorite Answer

Just partition the HDD so your main disk is under 128gb in size that way you're not copying from a larger volume.

Click start, then right click on computer and choose manage. Double click storage, then disk management. Right click on your main disk (probably disk C) and choose shrink volume. After analyzing it will let you choose how much to shrink the disk. Shrink it to around 100gb. You will end up with a partitioned drive, with your C disk now 100gb, and the rest a new volume.

You should have no problem copying the C drive once you shrink it to 100gb.

After copying you can un-shrink the C drive by following the same steps but instead of choosing shrink volume choose extend volume. Now you have a un-partitioned drive again.

Before you start, you do realise the 128 GB disk will not be big enough for your system for long? Within a few months it will fill up with essential system files, your own saved files and the space required for virtual memory. This will finally stop the machine. You need t least 150 GB and I refuse ti install ANY current Windows operating system on less than 500 GB for any customer now.

A freeware: aomei backupper, support partition clone.http://www.backup-utility.com/

manage partition, you can use disk management or third-party software like aomei partition assistant