Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

I read my first book, and I think it sucked ''The Catcher in the Rye''?

I'm trying to get into reading books so I bought myself a ''The Catcher in the Rye'' copy and I honestly thought it was a piece of poo. It was boring and it didn't leave me wanting more, the whole book revolves around a whiny teenager complaining about his life and I finished it quickly not because it captured my attention but because I wanted to get it over with. Why do people think it's such a ''classic'' and why does it get recommended so much?

I'm a 16 year old guy and in need of some recommendations. I know there must be some good books out there and I just have to find them, I would appreciate your help.

• Alice
    Favorite Answer

Re Catcher in the Rye, try Nokosee: Rise of the New Seminole and its sequel Nokosee & Stormy: Love and Bullets. Although both are written from a 17-year-old girl's POV, guys will like it because of its plausible combat and survival sequences. Basically it's a coming-of-age cautionary tale with lots of action, adventure and romance layered over a twisted save-the-environment plea. Oh, yeah, it has sex, too, something Holden could only dream about.

Think of this as Greek mythology lite (less gods, more filling): The King Must Die by Mary Renault. Set in ancient Greece it follows Theseus on a journey of discovery while painting a vivid picture of the times. Loved the descriptions of young uninhibited Greeks running buck naked up hills and through forests and making love among the flowers. The scenes of naked teens jumping bulls with back flips cries out for a cinematic interpretation. Ms. Renault's written a series of historical novels set in this period and all of them are so worthy.

Vision Quest by Terry Davis. High school wrestling and women. Great movie but greater book.

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll. A true horrifying and sobering account of "growing up hip" in NYC while a high school basketball star and drug addict. Great book and movie starring a teenage Leonardo DiCaprio.

Shogun by James Clavell. This is a thick book filled with adult action and intrigue as East meets West in 16th Century Japan. It's got ninjas and beheadings up the wazoo.Great book and TV mini-series.

• Orla C

I'm an avid reader. I read Catcher in the Rye years ago, and it did nothing for me. I've read thousands of books - no exaggeration. There are millions out there, you are bound to find something you like.

Here's the thing: you don't have to buy books. You can try your local library, you can browse, try an author or a genre you enjoy. I like the odd bit of historical fiction, I also like thrillers, and I like chicklit, some fantasy (a lot of it is rubbish, sorry) including Harry Potter, and some science fiction. I thought the Hunger Games series was very well written, I'd recommend that. There are also biographies, autobiographies ... need I go on? Oh, and I'd also recommend anything written by Michael Crichton, he was great.

Don't ever assume that if you've seen the film made, you don't need to read the book. Wrong. In about 70% of cases, the book has much more information, more characters, more twists - especially in the case of the Harry Potter series. I've found that seeing the film first can be a mistake - I watched PS I Love You, which has got to be one of the worst films ever made. The book is so much better ... but you can't know until you try it.

• Jason

catcher in the rye was revolutionary but its worth noting that it was written when your grandparents were your age (maybe earlier)

it has much to recommend it but its ok if its not your cup of tea

have a wander of your local library .. quite often they have a display of recommended new releases and such

a little trial and error will see you find books that suit you well

it may be a particular genre, a particular author or style of author

anyway

no reason to give up just yet

might be worth staying off the classics for the moment

books of that type can take a little to build up to

who knows .. maybe youll pick it up in 40 years and find it quite interesting

• Lex

That's the funny thing about reading. I didn't start reading until I was 16 and I certainly didn't get the genus of many so called classics until I was well in my 20's. As you read more, you pick up more on what the writer was trying to say. And things you didn't care for as a teenager suddenly bare some significance as you grow older.

• it was a classic when I was in school but now, imo, it's too outdated for 21st century teens to relate to.

i'm no good at recommending books because i'll read about anything, but two I give that usually aren't met with weird looks are The 5 People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays With Morrie.

• David

Your first book should be The Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham. The Catcher in the Rye is obviously too much of you.

No seriously, it's not for everyone. Go find Harry Potter.

Herman Hesse

Emily Bronte - Wuthering heights

Eustace Mullins

well I don't typically read classics but some really good dystopians are The Hunger Games and The Divergent series.

divergent- the first and second book are in a girls P.O.V but she doesn't complain about her life even though she goes through terrifying things xD The third book switched between a boys and hers P.O.V. It has a decent amount of action and fighting and I personally love the series.

TROLL!