Did BMW Motorrad buy Aprilia?

I went to my local BMW motorcycle dealer this morning only to find Aprilia banners everywhere and several 2014 RSV4's on the showroom floor. This is rather confusing since the RSV4 and S1000RR are usually considered to be direct competitors. Did BMW buy Aprilia? or are they in some sort of partnership?

(I also noticed some brand new Moto Guzzi's as well)

• Dimo J
    Favorite Answer

Doubtful, probably just the dealer added another brand to it's dealership. BMW only builds about 125,000 motorcycles a year. Piaggio builds about 600,000 motorcycles and scooters under Piaggio, Vespa, Aprilia, Scarabeo, Derbi, Gilera and Moto Guzzi names.

• lara
      6 years agoReport

no agreement its just likely that the dealers that sell bmw and aprilias try to stick to european bikes or something different or the higher end of market etc...

Should have asked the dealer sometimes they can carry more than one brand, doubt that BMW bought Aprilla.