How much would I have to make in wages from my employment before having to file a Federal tax return?

4 Answers

  • 7 years ago

    Assuming wages are your only income and you are under the ages of 65, if you can be claimed as a dependent your filing requirement starts at $6100. If you cannot be claimed as a dependent your filing requirement generally begins at: $10,000 if single, $12,850 if head of household, $20,000 if married filing jointly, and $3900 if married filing separately.

  • 7 years ago

    Table 1.2013 Filing Requirements Chart for Most Taxpayers

    IF your filing status is... AND at the end of 2013 you were...* THEN file a return if your gross income was at least...**

    single under 65 $10,000

    65 or older $11,500

    head of household under 65 $12,850

    65 or older $14,350

    married, filing jointly*** under 65 (both spouses) $20,000

    65 or older (one spouse) $21,200

    65 or older (both spouses) $22,400

    married, filing separately any age $3,900

    qualifying widow(er) with dependent child under 65 $16,100

    65 or older $17,300

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    Always file. You are probably due a refund and you may need the return to qualify for other benefits.

  • 7 years ago

    Typically, $10,000, but it depends on your marital status, whether anyone can claim you as a dependent, your age, and several other things.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.