High internet usage or a faulty modem?

A few months ago I had problems with my internet modem. I had to unplug it regularly for it to work and it reset itself twice. Once I had the broadband internet people come and replace the modem, I started to have new problems. Webpages, pictures and videos will not load unless I refresh the page. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It seems random. My internet provider bumped up my speed but I still have the problem. At times, the internet is quite fast. The local internet support guy thinks it is a virus. This problem started right after they installed the new box and I did not have this problem before. What can I do? Based on what I know I think it is the modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I thought I would add a few more details before I go through the troubleshooting.

I am using Win7. I have tried an Ethernet cable. (It didn't work) The problem arose on all three computers on my home network. I ran a connection diagnostics using Dell Wireless WLAN Utility and it informed me that the internet IP ping failed. It gave this message: The wireless router/AP for your network is working, but your computer is not able to use an IP address to connect to the Internet. You will not be able to connect to the Internet, although you might be able to connect to your local network. Contact your network administrator or wireless router/AP installer for assistance.

Any thoughts?

I have this problem on my kindle fire as well.

Favorite Answer

Are you using a WiFi connection or an Ethernet connection? Is the device that connects to the ISP line a modem or a router with an integrated modem?

If your connection to the network is by WiFi, then the box provided by your ISP is probably a wireless router. Most routers are set up by default to find a wireless channel automatically. The channel the router selects might not be the best channel for your purpose. Interference from neighbouring networks can cause problems similar to the ones you described. Try setting the different channels manually to see if any specific channel provides a reliable service.

If you are connected to the modem or router is by Ethernet, then I am not sure what to suggest.

I hope some of this might help.

---- UPDATE----

Hey Ben.

Thank you for the added clarity and confirmation that none of your devices are connecting properly. Richard's answer is the correct one and your channels need to be updated. Your Internet Service Provider may need to assist you via telephone because they know the best channel to select for your area, and will have the administrative username and password associated with configuring your wireless router if you do not have it. It is usually something silly like, username:admin; password: password (if it is, you should change it to something secure you will remember).

To begin, access your "Default Gateway" in the following manner:

- Open the command prompt by pressing the Windows + R keys

- Enter “cmd” into the available field and press the Enter key

- At the end of the C:\Users\etc. prompt, type "ipconfig"

- Locate the Default Gateway...... (address)

- Enter that address (i.e. 268.53.1.1) into the address bar of your internet browser as if you are typing in a web address

This will bring up the account associated with your router. Read your options carefully and run testing there. You may be able to switch and test the available channels yourself. BUT, if you get to the stage of accessing your router's admin account and become lost, please call your ISP and let them know that none of your devices are connecting. I just helped a friend with this two weeks ago when all of the devices in his home, including smartphones, were suddenly unable to connect to the internet though the devices each found the wireless router. We definitely had to call the ISP because he did not know his password. The channel had to be changed and all was well.

Please also see the source below for obtaining your IP address, which is in the same location as the Default Gateway.

-------

Based upon the information you have provided, I assume you are using a PC and I agree with your local internet support guy: It does seem as if you have malware or some sort of virus running directly in your PC. It seems almost as if it is trying to track your internet navigation which can result in random slow loading times, etc. If anything, the new modem is probably highlighting a previous issue you had not noticed before because you now have wonderful new connectivity speeds. ;-)

If you have not already done so, I would suggest ALL of the following PC maintenance steps below, ensuring to close all programs and applications while completing this potentially lengthy clean up process:

- Make sure that your internet browser is using the latest, most secure version associated with your computer operating system. For example, if you are using Windows 7, consider using Mozilla Firefox version 26. If you are using Internet Explorer, you should be running 11.

- Once you upgrade your browser to the latest version, please remove all cookies, browsing history, active logins, etc.

- Depending on which version of windows you are using, from the Start menu, select All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools, and run a disk clean up of all connected drives, with emphasis on your C drive. Delete everything. Using the same steps, run a System Defragment from the System Tools folder.

- Use the Control Panel to access your currently installed programs. See anything you do not recognize installed around the time your problem began? Remove it. (do not remove Windows/Microsoft/framework, etc. files). If you have concerns about what should NOT be removed, either run a google search on the program in question OR return here to ask and I can help you.

- Restart your PC.

- Run a complete scan of your PC with your virus software so that it may remove malware.

- Ensure your Windows software is up to date; you can begin by visiting Microsoft's official website so that it can scan your PC and provide you with further instructions based upon your operating system.

- Last, consider searching for the 'reset' option in your preferred browser, OR uninstalling it and installing a new version. Always have two browsers installed (I have IE and Mozilla - Mozilla is preferred). I am currently using Chrome more often at the office so that I can determine if I like it more than Mozilla. So far, not yet.

If none of this works, please get an expert to come to your home so you can replicate what you are experiencing. Taking your PC out of your home environment to get it checked out would take it off of your home network, and you want the person helping you to be able to diagnose the issue correctly.