Micky asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

Can I take the pill for only 1 month?

I temporarily live in France and I'm going to visit my boyfriend in Belgium in approximately 10 days. I know my boyfriend cannot use condoms because it feels weird, and frankly it feels weird for me too. So I was thinking about taking the pill for 1 month only, so that we could freely have sex when I'm there. I realize this isn't the best idea, but it is only temporary until I get the implanon (contraceptive implant) beginning March.

Also, when I start the pill now (7 days after the start of my period) will the pill be effective in about 10 days, as this is when I will be with my boyfriend?

• Kristi
    Favorite Answer

It is amazing how many people just instinctively know that it will not be effective after 10 days, despite all the scientific evidence that at the very worse, it takes only 7 days for the hormone levels to get high enough to suppress ovulation.

Your best bet is to read the patient insert. The information there comes from clinical trials, and has been vetted by the FDA. If it is incorrect, the pill manufacturer would have been sued out of existence already.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

The pill will absolutely NOT be effective if you take it for 10 days. There must be at least one month of pills taken before it is considered effective. Not only that but if you spend more than a few says with him you most definately be ovulating and fertile during your time with him (12-18 days after your period). A condom may feel funny to both of you but I bet being pregnant and having a baby in 10 months will feel even more funny (NOT!). I guess you both have a choice, risk being pregnant or use a condom or some other birth control. 10 days of pills will not protect you adequately.

Source(s): Registered Nurse
  • Cassie

You can but you would have needed to start a while ago. It takes a full for the birth control pill to become affective. So no the pill won't be in your system enough in ten days. As far as condoms any man that won't use one isn't a man to be sexual with. Condoms protect against STD's as well. Please use a condom.

• Nancy

Technically the pill is NOT 100% effective the first month, so ...no.

See about getting a diaphragm. You would insert it before sex and use spermicide with it.

• Jaz

As long as you complete the 21 days (which is about a month) then yeah you can take it just for one month

The Catholic church is against birth control.