What foods should I buy? Since no one in my house cooks.?

The thing is that my Mum has OCD and even though she has gotten a little better through medicine, she hasn't made a homecooked meal for us in over an year and doesn't intend to do so. If anyone of you have overcome OCD then please tell me.

But other than that, because she doesn't cook at all we mostly rely on processed foods, cereals(instead of eggs) for breakfast, and we go out a lot, just to eat at rather expensive restaurants.

What foods should I buy that are; easy to cook and nutritious? And if possible is there any way to get my Mum to cook?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The easiest ones are finger veggies, like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell and hot peppers, snow peas, tomatoes, avocado...any you like to eat raw and need little or no prep and no sauces. Eat them raw and often. Then there are those you put in salads, don't need lettuce, just chop them up. Here is one that doesn't need a dressing.

Greek/Pico Salad

2 cup diced tomato

1 cup finely diced onion

1/2 cup finely sliced fresh cilantro

2 tbs lime/lemon juice

fresh black pepper

Optional

1 cup diced avocados

2 cups broccoli, cabbage, shredded-carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers

1/4 cup peperoncini, fresh jalapenos

2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced

touch of honey

Can be added to lettuce prior to eating, do not store with lettuce in it

A healthier dressing is made from mostly fresh lemon juice, a touch of olive oil and seasoning, like minced raw garlic, fresh ground black pepper. Apple vinegar can be used in place of the lemon juice. Just look up the health benefits of lemon juice...amazing.

Then there are fruits, all kinds, and smoothies that only need a blender. Mine usually have a frozen banana and a favorite fruit, like peaches or blueberries. A few examples...

Pineapple Ginger Smoothie, a powerful anti-inflammatory, pain reliever (bromelain and gingerols)

2 cups ripe pineapple

1 cup ripe mango

large peeled knob of ginger (about 2-4 inches)

1 cup young thai coconut water (you may add the coconut meat too from inside the coconut if you please)

1 tsp. fresh vanilla

Blend all ingredients for 20-30 seconds and enjoy!

www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/#ZOS63LHuVHApKEBJ.99

Frosty Shake, can be frozen for fudgesicles:

3/4 cup Almond Milk & 1/3 of a Banana

15 ice cubes

1/2 tsp Vanilla

1-2 Tbsp unsweetened Cocoa powder

Blend.

Options: replace all the almond milk, banana and most of the ice cubes with frozen bananas.

organic unsweetened cocoa powder

organic unsweetened almond milk

Agave, honey, or stevia sweeteners

Chocolate Banana Shake Recipe with Coconut Oil

Reverses brain disease--coconut oil

www.deliciousobsessions.com/2010/12/chocolate-banana-shake/

www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Disease-What-There-Cure/dp/1591202930

1 cup coconut milk (learn how make your own here)

1 tablespoon maple syrup

6 drops vanilla cream stevia

1 large ripe banana

1 tablespoon melted coconut oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon high quality cocoa powder or carob powder

Ginger Lemon Honey Tonic for Colds & Flu

Honey (raw is best, but use what’s available to you)

Fresh Lemons

Fresh Ginger Root

1.Slice lemon thinly, remove seeds.

2.Cut a one inch piece of fresh ginger root into several small slices.

3.Pour a small bit of honey in the bottom of a jar.

4.Add a lemon slice, then one or two chunks of ginger.

5.Pour a layer of honey to cover then add more lemon and ginger.

6.Repeat layers until you near the top of the jar. Finish off with a thick layer of honey.

7.Cap with a plastic top (or layer of plastic wrap between metal lid and jar) to prevent corrosion.

Chocolate Mousse

1 large ripe avocado

1/4 cup raw cocoa powder

1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk

2 tsp stevia (or other natural sweetener)

1 tsp natural vanilla extract

Optional: toasted sliced almonds, chia seeds, frozen mixed berries, almond butter, cocoa nibs, coconut oil

Purée the avocado until smooth.

Mix together the cocoa powder and milk until combined and add to the avocado.

Stir in the stevia, vanilla extract, and any extra ingredients (toasted almonds add a lovely crunch, and frozen berries give the mousse a great fruity twang!) and mix well.

Transfer the mousse to individual bowls and store in the fridge until ready to eat.

Chilies and soups are easy to fix. You can just put all your ingredients into a pot and cook away. If you want to get more advanced, you can cook the veggies that take longer first, then add things like potatoes, pasta or rice later and test them for when the soup is done.

Rick's Chili

6C over-night soaked pinto beans

1C brown rice

1/2 gal filtered water

1T black pepper

1T red pepper flakes

Optional:

3 T chili powder

1 T bullion powder

cayenne pepper to taste

1T oregano

3T lemon juice or apple vinegar

Garlic

Diced onion

Bell pepper

Jalapenos, fresh or pickled

Grated carrots

Honey or pure maple syrup

1/2 can tomato sauce

Baking is not that hard, just cut into the loaf or cake to make sure it is done and not over done. Pancakes are even easier.

Basic bread/pancake/pizza:

2 cups whole grain flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 Tbs apple vinegar

A pinch of seasalt and sweetener optional

Options: garlic, onion, olives, black pepper, hot peppers, rosemary, basil, oregano

Also used for piecrusts, cinnamon rolls, sweet breads & cakes

Sweet breads: banana, other fruits, grated carrots, zucchini, spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice

Sweeteners: molasses, local honey, stevia

Here are a couple basic sauce recipes. Red is easy, just simmer for an hour. Stir the white sauce periodically to insure it doesn't stick to the bottom or form lumps. These are great on all kinds of pasta and pizza.

Simple red-marinara sauce: 1can tomato sauce, 1Tbsp oregano, 1Tbsp basil, garlic, onion. Simmer 30 minutes. Optional: rosemary, bay leaves, sliced olives. These other spices can be added to the white sauce too. Fresh basil is amazing, along with fresh garlic after cooking.

Simple white sauce: water with flour to thicken it, flour must be dissolved in cold water and stirred in before it forms lumps. Bullion can be added for gravy. Or Parmesan cheese, basil, and a touch of olive oil for pasta & pizza sauce. seasalt & pepper to taste.

Background and basics...Health basics: drink the right amount of water--use an online calculator, usually take a multi-vitamin, combine your food properly, eat 80% alkaline foods, exercise properly, avoid poisons (research fructose, aspartame, azodicarbonamide, pesticides, gmos), look at getting the B12, electrolytes and organic sulfur you need, research the best and worst foods. Increase health and cut costs by eliminating junk, all store drinks, grains cooked with legumes are high in all essential amino acids used to build protein, and soups for breakfast, and invest in organic veggies as much as possible. Electrolytes is one of the main keys, having the right balanced amounts. Vegetables are complete proteins.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculat...

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/11/why...

http://www.alderbrooke.com/chart.php

http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/02/cooking-oil-com...

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

When you want more plant-based foods, here are some recipes.

Rip Esselstyn @ TED, former firefighter and 12yr professional tri-athlete, food that satisfies Texas-beef guys, dropping weight and their cholesterol by 60pts.

http://engine2diet.com/recipes/favorites/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcmCCCk

Youtube thumbnail

Books: Fit for Life, Engine 2 Diet, The Natural Way to Heal, Formula for Health (raw), Wheat Belly

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/08/the...

If you want the next level of understanding how your body works and how best to feed it, research electrolytes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte

www.modernmedicine.com/node/44461

Results of Best foods: Amazing 70yr old woman vs typical USDA food results, using her backyard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7dhoHpyssf

Youtube thumbnail

Here's a site I use for ideas. Just type in an ingredient or dish name, add vegan to the list for health.

http://www.yummly.com

Hope these help. Good luck and good eats!

• Sum
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Oh man.... food is pretty easy to make and it's pretty cheap too if you buy the real stuff. That's really sad you don't have somebody to look out for you!

People who take care of their children have a pot of beans on the stove. A pound of beans might cost $1 at the store and it can feed an army. More importantly it's major nutritious stuff. You toast up a little piece of meat - cut that up and put that in the beans.

You get Greens.... these are the most important thing to eat. That's spinach, collards, kale, arugula. Spinach is the cheapest and comes in BIG bags from Costco. This is perhaps one of the most nutritious things you can put in your mouth.

Eggs are good and can be cooked up in many ways.

You can make a great soup with a bean base - cook up a cup of beans with some meat - throw in a little spinach, broccoli, onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots - anything else you might like. Only takes a little of each of these. The rest you can eat raw or keep them for the next stew.

Get a crock pot - they're really cheap. Try to find a 6 quart one - that will give you plenty of room. Slow cook a stew.... It's what everybody ate before they came out with all this processed junk they try to sell you.

Your own food is cheap - and if it tastes bad, you can throw it out because it didn't cost much to make. Then you try again.

Mostly - cooking is a chemistry experiment. You don't always get it right - but it's of major importance to your family that you keep trying.

• 6 years ago

My son started cooking when he was about 12. Go the library and get cookbook for kids, Read it, make a list of the recipe you think you can cook and then tell your Mom you want to cook a few meals a week for the family. Ask your Mom for money to buy the ingredients. I am guessing that even though your Mom doesn't cook, you guys still have pots and utensils so you will be able to cook a meal.

Your Mom obviously has a severe case of OCD if she can't even cook. If she is getting professional counseling and taking medication, just hope she will get better with time.

• What is she OCD about. There are a lot of things that can get to an OCD person.

Start looking at beginner and semi homemade cook books. See what You think You can make. Help your Mom out by making dinner at least 2-3 times a week.

And she needs more than meds. She need counseling.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I suggest you or someone else in your family learn to cook. Everyone should know how to cook and feed themselves. Both my son and my daughter were pretty good cooks by age 12.

Stock up on salad fixings, eggs, rotisserie chicken, canned soup, sandwich stuff. Get some potatoes, which you can throw into the oven and bake (no brainer). Anyone can heat up hot dogs, warm soup, boil eggs, bake potatoes. A rotisserie chicken and be cut up and served with the baked potatoes or made into a sandwich, on sliced on top of a salad. Use your head. You know what you like to eat.

• 6 years ago

salad stuff is easiest! chop, slice and dice any number of non-sweet fruits and veggies! You can add cheeses, eggs, and meats to this for excellent healthy dishes.

You should get yourself a cookbook! Better Homes and Gardens is one of the best. Learn to cook yourself!

http://www.food.com is a really good site The first page always has something really good and is easy to make.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Invest in a simple, basic cookbook and learn yourself. The key is cleaning up as you go, and keeping the kitchen clean when you leave. That way, you will be welcome in the kitchen. I started with baked things and simple meals (tuna casserole, mac and cheese, hotdogs.) My sister and I must have been 10 and 7 when we started.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Homes-Gardens-Cook-...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.