Can I Change my Motherboard and keep my version of Windows 8.1?

My OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600).

It was pre-installed into a Hp Pavilion p6-2310 model computer.

Motherboards I would like to have:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82... (Mainly for Wifi and Blutooth!)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82...

Thing is, I do not want to purchase more of what I already own!

I AM ON A BUDGET!

Favorite Answer

The OEM license is tied to the motherboard. When you replace the motherboard, the license is considered fullfilled and cannot be used again. Windows will notice that the new motherboard is different than the old one, and it will give you X number of days to input a new product key. You will have to call Microsoft and maybe or maybe not purchase a new product key. Sometimes they will just give you a new key for free, sometimes they ask you to pay for it. If you choose to not input a new key after the time limit is up, Windows will stop functioning.

If should also be noted that the two mobos you listed are FM2 and your computer has an FM1 CPU. You will need an APU/CPU that uses the FM2 socket if you want to use either of those motherboards. I'm suprised nobody else noticed that.

You could make sure you transfer the Hard Drive with (Windows 8) on and use it in the new PC and use another HD as a backup if you feel the need.

As someone mentioned before, double check that your CPU fits into the FM2 socket, or you won't be able to use it at all!

Hello, If it was pre-installed there should be a Windows 8.1 product key sticker on the computer.

I'd highly recommend re-installing the OS if your replacing the motherboard.

Simply download the Windows 8.1 ISO and burn it to a blank disc, and then enter in the product key.

Swap the hard drive disks, you'll be fine.. Might have to download new drivers, but that's about it.

You can only if it is under a private builder's license.