Turntable/Record Player experts needed!!!?

Hi guys I was in this vintage shop a while back and found a record player that I wanted as I'm a music lover and want to collect LPs and here the crackling of the records but I'm having major amateur problems as I've never had a record player and I don't know how to set it up or what amp/speakers I need.

My biggest problem is that I can't find anything on the internet about my specific turntable and it's quite old. I understand that it might not even work but it's worth a try and it was only £40. I need a replacement stylus but I have found the correct make for it so that's all good

So if anyone knows anything about how to get it all set up please tell me aha. The details are below, and this is all I know about it, sorry.

Sony Automatic Stereo Turntable System PS-LX220

Model no. LS-PX220

Serial no. 601424

Before anyone tells me it's a terrible record player and I've wasted my money, I'm not all that bothered about that I just want to find out if it works or not. Anyway if it turns out to be a pile of crap I'll probably keep it and use it as a decoration or something.

Favorite Answer

It is your lucky day! well Almost...

I checked the website Vinyl Engine and the closest information I could find is for the Sony PS-LX200, which should be for all intents and purposes the same as your model. The link is shown in source below. You will need to create an account and login and then you can download the manual for your table.

The replacement stylus for your TT is the ATN3600, which is available at Needle Doctor, again the link is below.

One final note about your comment, "I want to hear the crackling of the record". Vinyl playback is not about hearing crackling, its about hearing the full spectrum of the recording which is only possible in an analog format. The crackling results from an old needle or damaged or dirty vinyl. There is no crackling when listening on a high-end table (see third link)

You may find that you need an amplifier to connect the turntable to in order to get any sound ... the wires for the speakers would go into the amplifier and the turn tables red and white jacks would also go in the amp..... you can build up on this to make a hifi stack system ......

I collect limited edition records in various shapes and in picture disc.....

It looks like a perfectly fine turntable as long as the needle/cartidge is good and everything else is working. You really should have them test it in front of you before you buy it. If it works, all you need is a basic stereo receiver with a "phono" input and a pair of speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4109-Stereo-Rece...

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES20-High-Performance-Bo...