Are college computer science courses designed for students without previous programming experience?

I'm taking AP computer science in high school currently, and like many in the class, am having a pretty tough time with it. Previously I took programming 1 and 2, which didn't help prepare for ap much; we used Alice mostly then. I do have an interest in programming even though it doesn't come natural to me. So my question is are college computer science courses designed for students new to it, without much previous experience? Do they expect that you've taken such courses in high school? Because if that's the case, I feel like I'd have an easier time grasping the material than if they expected you to have background college. I'm trying to decide if I still want to pursue programming. Thankyou for any answers.

Favorite Answer

Yes. I took a class in C++ and had no prior computer programming experience. In fact, I think the class was called computer science 101. It took you from the very basics (how to turn on the computer.. what is a mouse, etc) to basic programming. I think by the end of the year, we were writing simple programs that used arrays, pointers, and other data structures.

For almost every subject, including computer science, colleges offer introductory classes for students with little or no previous experience in that subject.