promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
?
Lv 4
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 years ago

What is a good name for the son of a French count in 18th century?

I'm thinking of Philippe Antoine duPont.. but does that sound "noble" enough ? What is a better last name?

Btw he is the son of a count and a countness.. born in Le-grau-du-port (if thats a good enough place) but lives in the colonies

any ideas

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Cabal
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Do not put a capital in the middle of a French name, that's Canadian spelling, not French and that's how we know the origin of a name. As for Dupont, that is a well known lower class name in France.

Noblemen had the name of the land to which their title was attached as a surname. What you can do is pick the name of a small town around the area where he supposedly grew up and give that name as a family name.

And Philippe is not much of an 18th century name, though it is used. Lots of Henri, François, Louis...

Here are names of French dukes during the 18th century, if you want to chose one of those first names feel free, those are normal names in the nobility at that time.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Duc_fr...

Never heard of a Le Grau du Port, though I know a Le Grau du Roi in the south of France which during the 18th century was just a poor fishing village.

Here are a few names you could use:

François

François Henri

Louis Antoine

Charles Antoine

Louis Marie (very à la mode at the time)

Family names, taking as a starter the area around le Grau du Roi:

de Trévier

d'Aubais de Junas

de la Costière

de la Boissière

de Valergue

de Castries

Just a warning: In a French noble name de, du, d' is never capitalised and never attached to the next word, capitalised and attached De are usually non noble names

Source(s): French with a love of history
    • ?
      Lv 4
      6 years agoReport

He's born in the 1755 .. I want him to born in S. France.. What would be a good name, then? (First and last0/

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

If you're primarily concerned about the surname (I agree that the first two names are aristocratic enough, but you might want to add another one or two--they had looooong names back in the day :-) ).

There might be some room on the back end as well.

Try something along these lines: Philippe Antoine Etienne Jean DuPont-Lamballe, Count of Brittany, Lord of Vichy.

Hope this helped prime the pump for you.

• Tangi
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

What chrispy said seems right. But it would not be written duPont. It would be written Du Pont. or Dupont. A capital letter in the middle of a word (even a name) is not something to do in french.

Source(s): I'm french
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Louis

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.