Is my Laptop Compatible with Windows 8?

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate installed and i want to upgrade(?) to Windows 8. I tried to install Windows XP once but couldn't so i was wondering whether i could install Win 8 on it.

SPECS:

15.6” Widescreen WXGA Colour TFT BrightView Screen Display

Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T4400 (2.20 GHz, 1MB L2 Caache)

NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Dedicated

2GB RAM

320 GB Hard Disk

8X DVD Writer

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g

Bluetooth

Altec Lansing stereo speakers

Webcam with Integrated Mic

5-in-1 integrated Card Reader

3 USB, HDMI, RJ-45, VGA, Headphone out, Microphone in

6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

Weight: 2.36 kg

Update:

@Alex: I was told 8 had a simpler interface and is faster compared to 7 and also i need a change!

Will it perform better with 8? because note that i have mediocre specs and i want it to be performing the best it can.

If it was just down to performance, with my specs, Win 8 or Win 7?

Update 2:

wow! such rave reviews!

Update 3:

@Alex

my win 7 is 32 bit and the xp i tried to install was 32 bit

Update 4:

PERFORMANCE WISE, GUYS!!

WIN 7 OR WIN 8!!???

xD

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course you can but i will prefer you windows 8.1 to 8 and more than that i would prefer you 7 coz' Windows 8 is real crap its just good in visual looks you will find many problems operating it

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

According to the specifications mentioned, your laptop should be compatible with Windows 8.

Here are the minimum specifications specified by Microsoft to install WIndows 8 (or Windows 8.1) :

>>Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

>>RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

>>Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

>>Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Some other additional requirements for certain specialized features are mentioned in the link given in the source, but looking at the main requirements, I dont think there should have any problems running Windows 8 on your laptop.

However, since you were not able to install XP on it properly, I would recommend you take help from a computer technician for the upgrade. Also, the technician may be able to help you install all the required drivers and softwares.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

of course it can do windows 8 but take the advice from a fellow man, windows 8 is not an upgrade ive been all over the chart, XP vista 2000 7 8, 7 is godly compared to 8. just please trust me and maybe the windows XP you tried was a 32 bit compared to the 64 bit that i think that computer requires

Source(s): hacker/programmer
  • ?
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Yes! the laptop will be able to run Windows 8 fine, you are probably running Windows 7 now so Windows 8 will not be better by any noticable amount to you, so to upgrade would be dumb :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It will but it will be a custom full install, so backup all your data. I always run the Windows update advisor, but this one can't tell if you have UEFI BIOS, not essential but it helps With Windows 8, still a few bugs in it of course if you go to 8.1

Source(s): IT Tech
  • 7 years ago

Indeed your computer is compatible with windows 8 but windows 8 is old now. There is windows 8.1 which your laptop is indeed compatible with. But you will need to buy this Windows 8 upgrade disk then go to your windows store app and find the windows 8.1 update. And as well as that you will be able to keep everything on your PC :D

Link for upgrade -> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-8-Pro-Upgr...

• Anon
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It can be done, but being a non geek I got myself a Toshiba C 660 Intel Pentium.

Beats my old hp by far.

Source(s): Picked it up at a car boot btw!! £120
  • Joseph
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Honestly don't get w8. It's terrible, especially with their weird tile menu thing. It worked alright on their mobiles, but, no, not for a computer. Stay with 7. Spend the money on something else.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I downloaded Dreamweaver for free here http://j.mp/1p33QRP

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.