Do you think a lot of classes require a new textbook because of online supplements?

This may just be my college, UW madison, but 3 years ago I only had one class that I needed to buy an access code for to do online assignments. now 4 out of 5 of my classes need these stupid access codes which forces me to buy new editions of the book instead of older, CHEAPER, ones. Is this a trend in your school? And what really bugs me about is things like coursecompass or MML have built in homework and tests that are graded automatically so what the heck am I paying the professor for?

• Math
    Favorite Answer

I don't think they matter because many students use old textbooks or they just rent them. The professors aren't going to care about whether or not if the students have new textbooks.

Can anyone answer my question?

No. I've had classes which have used old editions of the text, and required access codes. In that case, I bought the book used, and then bought the access code separately, on the publisher's website.

You usually can buy the access code separate from your purchase of the books, so if this allows you to save some money by buying a used book, you could consider it.

If a professor is assigning a new edition of a textbook, it's not because of the access code/online component.