Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 7 years ago

is this normal or should i be worried?

I recently went to the doctor because over the past few weeks I have been noticing symptoms that are those of diabetes. Well a little over a month ago I had blood work done to see why I was tired all of the time, I was told that I had a little low iron nothing out of range but just on lower end as well as a regular hemoglobin level of 12.2 so lower end of normal scale for that, I was told to take multi-vites with iron everyday and go back.Well I still had tiredness, but on Christmas eve after a big lunch at my grandparents I went to work at fast food restaurant and I became really thirsty and, owned a ton of water, later that night I had to urinate a lot as a couple weeks past the symptoms continued, so i was telling my best friend about them and she told me it sounds like diabetes.. she is a type 1 diabetic and has been since she was 6 or 7.. so i then got worried and went back, I told the doctors of my new symptoms and she blew them off, she said I was tired because my iron still was not high, and to exercise to help get more energy, and to drink more water because I was thirsty because I had not drank enough.. she did another CBC and my hemoglobin and iron were still a little low as expected because I did slip on taking medicine.. but that's another story.. my best friend had mentioned to me to ask for a1c test, and so I asked my Dr what it was since she did not check my blood sugar or anything. She explained it to me and I asked for one to be done.. My a1c came back as 5.4 and average glucose of 108, now I know that is good, but I did just start noticing symptoms two weeks ago and that test goes back three months. I'm uncertain on whether or not I should get a second opinion and not worry about it. I feel 5.4 is high for a normal a1c seeming how 5.7 is pre diabetic.What do you all think I should do. I mean my doctor did blow it all off, and not even pay attention to my new symptoms she said nothing screamed diabetic but I do not know how she would be able to say that if she checked nothing besides my a1c and for ketones in urine test which was negative, but is negative a lot even for diagnosed diabetics. I just do not want to blow it off as nothing and then something go wrong and end up super sick or in the hospital because of low or high sugar. Am I over reacting. Please help and no judgmental post. I'm not looking for all of that,, thank you ahead of time!

Favorite Answer

[Here is a rundown on what diabetic rest results can mean.]

Tests for type 1 and type 2 diabetes

Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test. This blood test indicates your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. It measures the percentage of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. The higher your blood sugar levels, the more hemoglobin you'll have with sugar attached. An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates that you have diabetes.

If the A1C test results aren't consistent, the test isn't available, or if you have certain conditions that can make the A1C test inaccurate — such as if you're pregnant or have an uncommon form of hemoglobin (known as a hemoglobin variant) — your doctor may use the following tests to diagnose diabetes:

Random blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken at a random time. Regardless of when you last ate, a random blood sugar level of 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) — 11.1 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) — or higher suggests diabetes.

Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level between 100 and 125 mg/dL (5.6 and 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you'll be diagnosed with diabetes.

If type 1 diabetes is suspected, your urine will be tested to look for the presence of ketones, a byproduct produced when muscle and fat tissue are used for energy when the body doesn't have enough insulin to use the available glucose. Occasionally a C peptide level — a test used to measure the ability of the pancreas to secrete insulin — may be ordered. Levels of C peptide are usually low in people with type 1 diabetes, but may be normal or high in people with type 2 diabetes.

• John W

Normal is below 6.0% on the HbA1c, prediabetic is 6.0% to < 6.5% and diabetic is 6.5% or higher. However a fasting glucose of 108 mg/dl though normal, is on the high end of normal, of course you likely weren't really fasting.

Most type 1 diabetics experience a sudden onset. With my sudden onset and I'm not saying every diabetes onset would be like this, was so much thirst that I drank till I threw up and then drank again, the water tasted very sweet, never tasted anything so delicious since, I was also so dry that I soaked in a bathtub for hours. I was also diagnosed anemic but that was because they did a glucose test every four hours at the hospital but the glucose was too high for the meters so they would draw blood for a lab test every four hours, my arms were black and blue when I got out of the hospital after almost a week, the hospital bill was $30,000 and insurance only paid 80% as I was in the States at the time.

You are over reacting.

You don't have diabetes. Even if you just started noticing symptoms, your A1C would show that, and yours is perfectly normal, as is your blood glucose.

Sweetheart, my darling. Love is never on an even Kiel and some times that is a good thing. But it is a balance.