Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How can I get my PC to go faster?

I have a Dell Windows Studio 1535, about 6 years old. I took it to Office Max and they did a good cleaning it up. Took it back again before the year was over and they tuned it up again. That lasted about 3 months but now it is slow. The arrow from my mouse freezes for about 5 minutes then lets me move it around. At times I can't even click on the Google Chrome icon to open it up. I have to do it 5 times. Anything will be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Most computers run slow because of two reasons:

1. too many programs running

2. too many temp files.

Download and install a free program called CCleaner to remove the temp files.

to control the start up programs:

Open RUN (Win + R keys)

type MSCONFIG then click OK

in the system configuration window go to the start up tab and UN Tick everything except your anti virus program. Click OK and reboot the computer.

Do NOT untick everything where Bill suggests, your PC needs some of those files. Only untick if you recognize a program in there, like facebook, that you know you do not need to start when your PC does.

CCleaner is good, agreed.

Also try clearing your chrome cache. Chrome menu is the three horizontal lines at the top right of the window. Choose Tools>Clear browsing data>Empty Cache

Good luck!

Consider adding more ram. Whenever my computer slows down I look at the memory usage and sure enough it has very little free or available memory.

Also as Bill said CCleaner is a good program to clean out the unnecessary junk that accumulates. I use Onyx on the Mac.