why does my truck not want to start when I start it?

it will shake and then I have to try again till it starts

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Gene
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, there's a difference between diagnosing a mechanical problem and a psychological problem with a truck. If it "wants" to start, but can't, that's a mechanical problem somewhere, we can fix that. But if the truck doesn't even "want" to start, it sounds depressed to me, and perhaps needs medication.

Perhaps if you talk nicely to it and provide affirmations like "You're a good truck, a pretty truck, a strong truck" it will want to start. Perhaps the shorter days of winter have it down. Aim some Happy Lights at the windscreen to counter the effects of SAD for your truck.

Once a truck doesn't want to start, you can only provide the basics; fuel, compression, ignition and timing. The rest is up to the truck.

Did it go on a bender last night? Are there a lot of empty oil cans laying around? It might have a hangover too. If that's the case, it may need a 12 step treatment process sponsored by STP.

I hope your truck plucks up its courage and wants to start soon. Its hard to see a truck so down and out. If it doesn't pull out of this funk, you may have to call a tow truck (that wants to start) and take it to the truck hospital until it feels better.

Best of luck to you!

• 7 years ago

When is the last tine the motor has an electrical tune-up? You forgot to give us the year, make and model of your truck. It does make a difference of the parts required for an electrical tune-up.

Have the battery load tested ant any store other than Auto Zone where new batteries are sold. A free 15 second load test will tell you the reserve amperage capacity. Amperage spins starter motors not volts.

• 7 years ago

Truck usually means diesel?

Unlike an unleaded (petrol) vehicle diesels don't have spark plugs the combust with heat from the engine itself to help the to start of they have glow plugs which are like metal rods that heat up red hot when the ignition is turned on try leaving the ignition on with out starting it for 5-10 seconds and you should find it starts like a dream :)

• 7 years ago

You are not properly maintaining it. You must take it to a professional to see what is wrong and what it needs. You should not be waiting until something is wrong before doing so in the future. Autos need regular maintenance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • J J
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Well there you go nothing in and looks like you got nothing out.

• 7 years ago

is it cold where you live? could be cold nature because the cold can make your car have problems starting!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.