MSI GT70, or should I look for something else? (LAPTOP)?

Here is the main stuff 'included' in what I'm looking to purchase, (I've customized it slightly, but there are some options I've just not even bothered with). The total on the site is $1965.00. My budget was originally under $1500.00, but I'm willing to go up to $2000.00 if it's a good deal.

I'm a graphic designer and digital artist, so I rely heavily on Adobe Illustrator, Autodesk Sketchbook Designer, and other design and editing programs. I'm also a heavy PC gamer, and need a computer that can handle the abuse that comes with the newer games on the market.

I've been looking at MSI and Alienware for the most part. If anyone could give me some tips, that would be great.

I NEED HIGH COLOR AND A LARGE SCREEN.

MSI GT70 2OC-408US

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen w/ 90% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080)

- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – X2X914)

- Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)

- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 770M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology

- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-444DP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB SODIMMS))

- Independant Configuration of mSATA's in Primary HDD Bay (If selecting mSATA Options these will replace primary hard drive with mSATA’s selected below)

- 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s) - Default (SKU - HDD025)

- 2nd HD 1TB 5400RPM (SATA II - 3GB/s) (SKU - HDD003)

- 8x Super Multi DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive (Dual Layer w/ Software) (SKU - ODD001)

- Bluetooth Included *With select wireless cards only* (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)

- Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-N 1202 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.0 | Up to 300Mbps (2x2) - Default (SKU - WIFI14)

- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/SDHC/SDXC)

- Integrated Digital Video Camera

- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included

- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)

- XOTIC PC Backlit Island Style Keyboard

- Full Size Brushed Aluminum Notebook Cooler - Large 200mm Blue LED Fan - USB Powered (For up to 17" Laptops)

- Yes, Redline Boost My Operating System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service)

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk (Supports up to 16GB of RAM)

Update:

@micheal, As much as I would rather upgrade the video card, I really need that second hard drive. If my computer crashes in the middle of a huge job, and I have no back up... ouch.

@The_Dude_with_Skillz, Me and Toshiba don't get along very well. Hahahaha. I think I'll stick with the MSI, for now, after looking at some of the other options out there. There are so many ways to customize things, you're essentially building your own PC without any of the time and work. If I have extra cash, I can pop in some more upgrades, no problem. Thank you for the suggestions, though!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Alienware, your paying for the name mostly. In other words, it's just a waste of money paying for alienware products. I can verify that by telling you that there are some better deals, with about the same items in your list, but with better configurations.

http://laptoptester.com/pages/Y500-Review-Lenovo-I...

I like this laptop because of the easy switch out for the Hard Drives, you being a graphics designer would appreciate being able to save to swapable hard drives. It can be configured to the same powerful features of your Alienware without spending just for a name brand meant for gaming teenagers....

http://laptoptester.com/pages/Samsung_Series_7_Gam...

Another option worth looking at for a highend power house in a laptop. Samsung's Series 7 is hard to beat too and configurable around your list above.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=1BDg4...

You can also build a better system with a Toshiba website where you can get a powerful system like you want for way less.

Just some suggestions, hope it helps!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

this looks really good deal. the only thing that I would do is give up the second hard drive and upgrade the video card to NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-202).

I use cyberpowerpc.com, they have great gaming laptops. I personally prefer PC for heavy work.

I found a similar laptop to what you showed here with price $1839, the only differences than yours are:

Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-202)

Hard Drive: 128GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: 1 TB 5400RPM SATA300 Hard Drive

Source(s): www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/FANGBOOK_Evo_HX7-300_Gaming_Notebook
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.