Shubham asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

Do dogs spread infection to kids ?

so , my nephew is 6 year old , and i have a pug which is one year old .

though my nephew likes to play with the pug very much , but his parents won't allow for the fear of their son catching an infection .

so my question is , do dogs pose serious risk of infection to kids ? ... or are they on an equal footing in regard to this with other mammals , especially humans ?

thanks ,

p.s , some vet told me once that playing with dogs , boosts a child's immunity ... is that true ?

Favorite Answer

No, Which, I honestly think that's ridiculous for them to not let a 6 year old play with a pug. If your pug had their shots and the child has too, I see no problem in letting him, I grew up, with a lot of dogs, even younger than him, I never had 'a disease'. rabies or sickness, in that case, no, but I'm pretty sure you can tell those things about your pug. So, tell them to just let the poor child play with the pug.

Yes, some diseases, like rabies, can be passed down to children from dogs. But if the dog has had all necessary shots and is clean and healthy, and not showing any signs of sickness, the child should be fine.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/babies-with-dogs-less-likely-to-develop-colds-ear-infections-as-infants/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2045704.stm

Just a couple of the many studies that have shown how dogs can improve children's health and immunity. As long as the dog does not have any zoonotic diseases and is not fed on a raw/BARF diet, which can result in them carrying salmonella in their coats, there should be no problem.

Just make sure that the child and dog are supervised 100% of the time for the safety of both of them, childrens' fingers could end up in dog's eyes or ears, dog could be aggravated or confused by child tugging on ears or poking and react badly, etc., but there is no serious threat in terms of diseases. Basic hygiene, such as washing hands before eating, will do much more to keep the child safe than separating the two species.

Growing up with a dog, or playing with dogs (or heck outside in the "elements" in general) will boost a child's immune system.

Permitting your dog doesn't have some zoonotic disease, I'd say the kid's parents are being neurotic.

• Pamela

NO, there is no chance of dogs passing infections to humans.

Except for maybe a slight cold.

As long as child and dog both have all required shots, it will be ok.

Here's a thought, try doing your own research (where you get evidence other than from other people on here that may not know what they're talking about) and presenting it to the parents. For all we know they may just be germaphobes.

there are very few diseases that dogs carry that can affect children

the kid is at more risk going to day care or playing in the park.. other kids carry far more diseases that can affect him.