Why are there such major differences between U.S. citizens that live in different parts of the country?

I been been wondering about this for a number of years. I cannot figure out why there is such a disparity in the United States when it has to do with people's religious beliefs and political views. I actually was born in the southeastern United States and I still live in the southeast. I could probably live just about anywhere, but I choose to live here since I want to be near my family. I just find it puzzling that people would be more religious in certain states or cities, and would vote more for a particular political party in certain parts of the country. I don't know if it is this way in other countries in the world, but I myself don't like it since it keeps people divided and there could sometimes be animosity between people of different parts of the country. For example, people of my family seem to always have a negative view of people from the northeast, or other some states located in the midwest. I have been told by my relatives that it people from these parts of the country are unfriendly, arrogant, and look down on southerners. However, I can't really say that I agree with this. I myself don't hold this view. I respect people regardless wherever they are from. I have been around unfriendly, arrogant and obnoxious people before that aren't from those parts of the country. I just don't believe being in having animosity towards others just because of his or her beliefs or political views. I am not sure why certain parts of the country such as the west coast states, or northeastern states would be so different religiously and politically than those states of the southeast or other states. Some people still talk about the civil war and display the Confederate flag which I think is unnecessary since that event took place long before our generation and it is irrelevant today. All it does, in my opinion, is just keep people divided. I am wondering if when the early settlers came to the United States, they decided to split up into different parts of the country. For example, protestants settled in mostly southeastern and some western states, and catholics settled mainly in the northeast. I don't know if that is the real reason for the significant differences in the people of different parts of the country. It is just baffling to me that people in Alabama for example, would be all that different that people that live in New York. Why does the Bible Belt even exist? Why isn't the level of religious people the same in all fifty states? Why do people vote democrat mostly in New York, but republican in Arkansas? Also, why are there regional accents? That also is odd to me. Other countries don't have regional accents I don't believe. I am not trying to be critical of the people of the U.S., I just don't understand why in this country we have all of these differences among people from different parts of the land. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this?

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

America is a mixture of immigrants from different countries. many of the nationalites chose to group up and live in certain parts of the country. Thats why you have different accents and different customs everywhere. It goes back to colonialism too before America became a country

honestly there are a lot of southern democrats. so it's not just california and ny that are mostly democratic states. that is just the majority of voters. honestly, there are many republicans in the northeast that have the same views as repubs in arkansas. i think the media displays a stereotype of certain regions that is incorrect.

for instance, i am from NJ. when you think NJ you probably think of that moronic show Jersey Shore or some type of gangster show. Not factual at all. i live in the country where there are cattle and horse farms all around me. and it's NJ!! we have rednecks out here that are the same as a redneck down in West Virginia. It's a way of life. i don't think it's necessarily true about what part of the country you're from.

Could be that slavery - and later Jim Crow - had a lot to do with the retardation you see in the South. There's something poisonous through the whole society when they're dealing with that much hate for an entire race of people.

To hate people that much, you have to shut down your mind and cling tight to your religion and refuse to think about anything. All the violence - all the lynchings and beatings and murders of Blacks and perhaps other minority races is still probably very carefully avoided and denied in the South.

That leaves the South stupid and "conservative".