Large spleen and high WBC... What could be wrong?

I recently went to my doctor for pain in my side. The pain wasn't bad, but it kept coming back, so I went in. I had been feeling it for probably about 2 months. He ordered an ultrasound and everything looked normal except for my spleen which was 13.8 cm (upper limits of normal). My doctor thought that... show more I recently went to my doctor for pain in my side. The pain wasn't bad, but it kept coming back, so I went in. I had been feeling it for probably about 2 months.

He ordered an ultrasound and everything looked normal except for my spleen which was 13.8 cm (upper limits of normal).

My doctor thought that wasn't large enough to be causing the pain and referred me to another doctor to check on my ribs. I didn't think it was ribs (it doesn't feel like it), so I asked for blood work.

My white blood cell count came back at 11.3. The peripheral smear showed neutrophil.

I haven't been able to talk to my doctor yet, so I'm wondering, what could be wrong? Another doctor said he couldn't rule out leukemia, but he also didn't think that's it.

Does it sound like some other infection that needs attention? Should I be keeping my distance from people so I don't get anyone sick? I don't feel well, either, but I admit some of that could be anxiety over not knowing.
Update: Thank you, Norton G. You have eased my mind so much. I am 32, but I have had mono before, about 13 years ago. My understanding is that it is rare to get it again. But I have been tired, too. I've attributed that to having small children. :) Hopefully my doctor will call back soon, but your explanation eased my... show more Thank you, Norton G. You have eased my mind so much. I am 32, but I have had mono before, about 13 years ago. My understanding is that it is rare to get it again. But I have been tired, too. I've attributed that to having small children. :) Hopefully my doctor will call back soon, but your explanation eased my mind more than you know. Thank you! And thanks for being understanding about the anxiety this gave me, as well.
1 answer 1