What do you think about the vast majority of arguments put forth for the existence of a God?

Are they mostly bad? All bad? At least one that seems reasonable to you?

Best Answer

The vast majority of arguments for god existing say that someone or thing had to have created the world, because how else could it all exist, but this argument has a fatal flaw. If god created the world who created god? The believers will say, no one he just exists, but if he just exists, couldn't the big bang just exist? Also, they claim god is a father figure who loves his children in some parts of the bible, but in others he is a vengeful god. In other words, the religion itself can't agree with itself, and they all insist their path is right, and in the end, there is no support other than ancient books that for all we know could have been written by someone high on a hallucinogen, or a sociopath who needed a sufficient way to control the masses. And don't try to say religion isn't manipulative. It is. It created marriage as a way to control people. It waged the Crusades on the word of a Pope saying it is gods will. During the Middle Ages the Church was the center of life. And those are just the Christian centered manipulations, and the tip of the ice burg at that. To make long story short, religion has no solid evidence of gods existence but a book written by man.

None are in any way more., or less, convincing than the claimed proofs that there is no God. The existence or non-existence of a God are equally undecidable questions, and will remain so for eternity. Physics and science cannot be a basis for an answer to this question - only theories can come of these disciplines, not proof (in the mathematical/logical sense).

• Mark

As Robert said, many boil down to..."We can't explain everything, therefore....God."

Or, to put it more formally, "Argument by incredulity."

The very best argument is the supposed "fine tuning" of the universe to allow life, but this falls apart if there is (as is speculated) more than one universe.

If there are multiple universes, then every conceivable arrangement of the "constants" could exist... And thus a large number of universes in which life could not arise.

There is no direct evidence of God... Those that claim, as nedmorlef says, to have "met" or other wise experience the supernatural.... To be kind let's say that their claims do not hold up to scrutiny.

I'm kinda an empiricist so I don't consider them convincing.

They seem to make statements that are possible but just end up making up explanations for things that have no current explanation; mostly arguments from incredulity and ignorance.

And then there are the various versions of the ontological argument which puzzles me as to why anyone even considers it at all.

The best argument for the existence of a God is simply that if there wasn't a God we would need as a species to invent a God

They seem reasonable to those who want the answer to be yes, just as the arguments and evidence against that existence seem unreasonable to them.

The arguments for the existence of a god uniformly lack substance and viability to those who are willing to accept the truth, whatever it is.

Arguing the existence of a superior being is a well-trod path; and while one could present evidence supporting it, there's yet to be enough physical evidence to prove the existence of a non-physical numen.

Personally, I don't understand why so many people aggressively shove this fact into other people's face. Even if Deism is a placebo for man finding fulfillment, it still works.

To me, people should be allowed to express their opinions about whether or not God exist, or does not. There is no proof that God exists, or does not. Only beliefs.

The problem is that people who BELIEVE there is a God, become angry and violent against others who do NOT believe there is a GOD. If there is a God, does he really need you to defend him?

as it is getting late for me I cannot think of all of the names of the categories of arguments in this area, but I do not accept at this time any of the Ontological arguments that I know of.

I accept the argument by design. I accept an empirical argument made by the New Testament of the Bible, and an epistemological argument of the Bible that it is written in our hearts (thus is "known").

If one has lived in a tropical climate and never seen snow, no one can describe or convince them of it to their satisfaction. The blinders of belief and non-belief are two sides of the same wall. God needs neither to justify existence.