Should I load windows on my macbook pro, or get new laptop?

I have a mid 2009 model macbook pro. Here are some of the specs:

Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Software: OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Standard Hard Drive: 320 GB serial ATA (3 gb/s)

I also am considering putting an SSD in.

Basically I have had this laptop for four years (obviously) and I am currently a freshman in college and still using it. This laptop has treated me well, but next semester I will have to use windows programs like Mathcad 3.0 and some others later on. I am a chemical engineering major. I am wondering whether I should load windows 7 (maybe 8) onto this laptop, probably using bootcamp, or If I should just buy a new windows laptop to run the programs on. If I bought a windows laptop I would get a lower end model and probably would be sacrificing some of the functionality my macbook pro has. This being said, I am sure the new laptop would work fine, as I would only be using it for schoolwork.

The recommended requirements for a laptop in my degree are:

Recommended hardware requirements:

Dual-core Intel or AMD processor

4.0 GB of memory (RAM)

320 GB hard drive

CD/DVD drive or burner

Wireless network connection

Recommended operation system:

Windows 7 SP1,

Windows Vista SP2, or

Windows XP SP3

I am just wondering how well a windows OS would run these programs like mathcad on my macbook pro, and if I would run into any trouble? And would a 2009 laptop last me another 3-4 years?

If anyone has any advice that would be great. Which operating system to load on the mac? Or which kind of windows laptop to buy if I should do that?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

To play with top level games, you need top level graphics. Why not buy a computer that can do it? From Apple, that would be a MacBook Pro 15-inch or a recent iMac or a Mac Pro.

From another brand to play games, such as HP, Toshiba, or whatever, choose one with at least 1GB of VRAM, preferably 2GB.

For MathCAD, you need to go to the website for MathCAD and read what MathCAD requires. Do you need me to do that for you? Give me ten minutes.... or see if you can find it faster.

IF YOU INSTALL WINDOWS ON A MAC IN BOOT CAMP, it will run EXACTLY the same as on any other brand of computer–– except no Windows key and no registry and no BIOS.

EDIT :

OK, got it. From http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/113152/en/mathcad15....

"System Requirements

Minimum

256 MB Main Memory

CPU speed 400 MHz

Internet Browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0

Recommended

Main Memory 512 MB or higher

CPU speed 700 MHz or higher

Internet Browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later

Available Disk Space

1.75 GB (350 MB for Mathcad, 1.4 GB for temporary space during installation)

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8

CONCLUSION: Yes, any Intel Mac ever made can run MathCAD in Windows.

<0-0>

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

you can go to key2buy

they helped my a lot to such questions.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.