Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

What's the "trinity"?

I'm an agnostic doctor.

I was an atheist, but I've loosened up over the years.

I have a daughter named Trinity, and she has leukemia. I had another question related to her, but it was under my original account, which I cannot access, so with this new one I will add details and questions through an answer.

People (in my very religious community) always tell me I should be a Christian. When I ask why, they say it's because I named my daughter Trinity and that was a symbol that God is calling me.

Every time someone says that, I just get more and more confused. I just named her that because I thought it was a pretty name.

Can someone please tell me what heck the "trinity" is?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ignore people who "see" something religiously symbolic in what you named your daughter. It is a pretty name.

The "Trinity" is a teaching that was first introduced into Christianity as a result of the formulation of the Nicene Creed, first proposed at the council of Nicaea in 325. There are several versions, but the most common is that there are three persons in one God. People often confuse it with the New Testament teaching of the Godhead, which says that heaven is ruled by three persons -- God, the Eternal Father; his son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost. They are one in purpose and follow the singular will of the Father, who has bestowed his authority on the other two members of the Godhead (Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost) through "divine investiture", which allows them to act for and in behalf of the Father in their missions. In that regard, they are, for all intents and purposes, God.

Regardless, the Trinity was not part of the original Christian religion.

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

In The Encyclopedia Americana we read: “Christianity derived from Judaism and Judaism was strictly Unitarian [believing that God is one person]. The road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.”—(1956), Vol. XXVII, p. 294L.

According to the Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel, “The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher’s [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions.”—(Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachâtre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

John L. McKenzie, S.J., in his Dictionary of the Bible, says: “The trinity of persons within the unity of nature is defined in terms of ‘person’ and ‘nature’ which are G[ree]k philosophical terms; actually the terms do not appear in the Bible. The trinitarian definitions arose as the result of long controversies in which these terms and others such as ‘essence’ and ‘substance’ were erroneously applied to God by some theologians.”—(New York, 1965), p. 899.

Claims to the contrary are just that -- claims. The scholars who provided their opinions in the above citations have studied early Christianity and know what they're talking about. The Trinity was introduced through the Nicene Creed, which was a statement of faith that was developed during the first ecumenical council, held at Nicaea in 325. Since then, Trinity believers have had to ignore the Baptism of Jesus and the vision of Stephen. The bottom line is that the nature and ways of God have been mystified over the centuries. It is, if anything, a corruption of the Godhead doctrine, which shows that heaven is ruled by three persons: God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus and the Holy Spirit operate under the authority of the Father and thus, are identified as God, but are not the Father. The conflicts caused by the three persons in one God of the Trinity are avoided by recognizing that there is an order in heaven, something that is lost in the Trinity thinking, especially as it is expressed in the creeds.

• God is a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

http://carm.org/trinity

Source(s): TR
  • 6 years ago

Many believe that it is a Christian teaching, but, it is *not,* as it is *nowhere* taught in the Bible itself.

However, the 'Trinity' is the central doctrine of the churches of Christendom.

According to the Athanasian Creed, there are three divine Persons (the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost), each said to be eternal, each said to be almighty, none greater or less than another, each said to be God, and yet together being but one God.

Other statements of the dogma emphasize that these three “Persons” are not separate and distinct individuals but are three modes in which the divine essence exists. Thus some Trinitarians emphasize their belief that Jesus Christ is God, or that Jesus and the Holy Ghost are Jehovah.

I would like to stress again that the Trinity is *NOT* a Bible teaching.

In The Encyclopedia Americana we read:

“Christianity derived from Judaism and Judaism was strictly Unitarian [believing that God is one person]. The road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.”—(1956), Vol. XXVII, p. 294L.

According to the Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel,

“The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher’s [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions.”—(Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachâtre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says:

“Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

If you would like to read about what the Bible actually teaches about God, his son, and his active force, I suggest reading:

"Should You Believe in the Trinity?"

wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102013286

"The Truth About the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit"

wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005153

Source(s): "Reasoning From the Scriptures" (2009) - Trinity wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989282
  • 6 years ago

The Trinity is a way of understanding God. As you are a doctor, and a parent, God can be seen from different aspects as well. He is the Father - Creator, the Son - Redeemer (Saviour), and the Holy Spirit as well. So, three ideas in one being, or three aspects of His being, or even 3 ways of understanding the One God.

Christians are Trinitarian, accepting God as Father, Son, and Spirit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Corey
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Just to nitpick, agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive. Most atheists are agnostic atheists.

"Trinity" is what Christians call their three-in-one god. It's not really a unique idea though, many religions have multiple gods being the same god. You can find it in some sects of Hinduism (many of them in modern times). The old Celtic polytheists also had trinities, with three goddesses being some hazy mixture of the same individual or sisters.

When people tell you that, just tell them that no, you just liked the name, and your thoughts are your own, and you'd appreciate if they'd keep their hackneyed superstitions to themselves. Only say it nicer. I get offended when people try to insinuate their superstitions into my life, and respond bluntly.

• 6 years ago

Since God in his personage is radically different from any understanding of person that we could ever hope to comprehend. But being a person, all-be-it a Divine person rather than a human or angelic person, he possesses the same faculties that all persons possess, i.e. intellect and will. However, being a Divine person the capacity of his intellect and will are far superior to the intellect and will of all other persons. For example, when a human person thinks of a chair, it is a thought in abstraction, it remains within the confines of our intellect, with an image produced through the imagination.

God, however does not think in abstractions, and the very act of thinking, by God, brings the thought into being. God, also is the only being in the totality of existence who can fully understand himself, and so he does what any other person does, and he thinks about himself, but not in a partial, clouded, finite sort of way that we humans do when we think about ourselves. God, being all knowing, knows himself completely, but by the very act of thinking, he eternally generates from himself a second person, possessing the fullness of the Divine Godhead, yet is a radically separate person. The 1st person of the Blessed trinity is God qua thinker, and the 2nd person is God qua thought.

But wait there's more, because God also has a will. The will being the appetite of the intellect. We see something, or we come to understand something through the use of our intellect, and from that understanding we engage our will, either desiring it or not, but regardless making a choice with regards to that object. The will of God, proceeding from his intellect has the same creative properties as the intellect, that is from the intellect - through the will - there is generation. The 1st person (God qua thinker), proceeding through the intellect, which as demonstrated above, is the 2nd person (God qua thought) does will himself and since the will of God is generative, thus in willing himself he generates, through the intellect the 3rd person, again possessing the fullness of divinity, and yet is a radically separate person. The 1st person (aka the Father) is God thinker and willer, the 2nd (aka the Son) is God qua thought, and the 3rd (aka the Holy Spirit) is God qua willed.

The reason that this doesn't happen ad infinitum, generating an infinite number of divine persons, is because God is eternal, He is not bound by space or time, for Him, every moment that ever was, ever is, and ever shall be, is experienced all at once, and being eternal he is capable of experiencing that perfectly. Because God is eternal, there is only one act of the Divine Intellect, and likewise there is only one act of the Divine Will.

There is evidence that this did not come about in the 3rd or 4th century, for it is very Scriptural, Matthew 28:19 for one, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Jesus, thus revealed the Trinitarian nature of God himself, for that is how it must be, because the human intellect cannot come to this understanding with out outside aid.

• janhoi
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

The Trinity is the Christian belief that God is one being that manifest himself in three persons. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

Source(s): Christian
  • 6 years ago

The "Trinity" is the 3 in 1 Godhead -

The very first words in the Bible are = IN THE BEGINNING GOD -

The name "God" is translated from the Hebrew "Elohiym" which is plural,

and as such means:

God the Holy Father

God the Holy Son

God the Holy Spirit - thus proving the Godhead (or Trinity)

And the word ‘God’ actually occurs over 3100 times in the Old Testament

Source(s): May God bless you as you study His Word <:(SDA)>< King James Bible
  • garnan
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Any explanation of the 'Trinity' to a novice would lead to confusion.

The word dose not appear anywhere in the Bible.

Listen to Horsense, he has the truth!

• Lou G
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Draw a diagram of an electric motor, it is a circle with a triangle inside. This is the symbol of an energy field. An energy field can only exist inside a neutral medium, and then, connect a positive pole and a negative pole to it, and the neutral medium will get alive, the triangle will turn in the circle and as long as the 2 poles are there, the motor will turn, and he turns at the speed that the resonance frequency imposes him, a 60 HZ motor turns faster than a 50 HZ at same Voltage, until one of the components will break down, or the magnetic gravitational energy field itself breaks down. Increasing frequency makes it turn faster, the higher the resonance, the warmer it gets, This is how atoms work, how the universe is powered, in permanent infinite rotation, creating and collapsing, what makes it evolve, simply turn in an infinite motion in resonating fields and this resonance produces gravitational fields by rotation. There you see what the trinity is, Father, Mother, child, positive negative, neutral, proton/neutron tandem, electron, neutral non existent, but visible, space obtained by rotating light spots produced by the electrons. It is not real, just an illusion, but it seems real, and it does huge things. No need to be a Christian to understand that, GOD is simply what we call Nothingness, Resonance, and Gravity, NRG, energy, and there you have your trinity explained once more.

To help your daughter, find someone who can make Rife Bare resonance therapy on her. Bringing her cells in the correct resonance swing can cure this, all disease in our body are resonance interferences, cells turning out of resonance only. Some products in nature can help to redress it as well, as King Bitter plant (Andrographis paniculata), Curcuma, Cinamon, Ginger, for example. Once resonance fields are disturbed, one needs to harmonize them again. What disturbs our resonance is wifi and cellphones and all kind of high frequency emissions around us. Get all sources of microwave resonance out of her reach, specially at night. The body needs darkness and correct resonance to sleep and regenerate. The Alpha Resonance frequency of our cells is 7.83 HZ, same as the Schuman Resonance frequency in the magnetic belt between the earth and the outer space. That is why your heart beats at 78 pulsations in normal resting position. The tension in the cells is 0.78 Volts, surface tension of our skin is 15,6 kilovolts. An electrical disturbed being can only be healed by electrical therapy. All resides in the harmony of the spheres and once you resonate on the correct frequency, all goes ok. So, change from hard rock to classical or gregorian sometimes, that helps too. The information of our body, his memories are in the water of the body, carried by our blood, that is why we have 2 different energy carriers, red and white cells. Water is sensitive to resonance, and this resonance transmits all emotions inside of us, from inside to outside and from outside to inside. Feelings, love hate, fear, anxiety, are all feelings that the water communicates to our solar plexus, and thus we have the ability to feel, it is our sixth sense. So, study the energy of the universe, how it acts, how it powers us, then you can understand what all is about and know thyself. This gives you also an idea why the cult of pure blood and pure race exists, it is not a myth, it is reality. Unfortunately, humanity lives far beyond reality in our days, it has become a vessel without captain and rudder.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.