Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 6 years ago

Paul McCartney VS Eric Clapton?

These are two of my biggest influences being a musician. McCartney, hands down, was the most musical out of The Beatles. Could sing and play anything very well and his music is very eclectic. Wings also had a very successful career and put out some wonderful material. Hands down, one of the best bass players ever! Clapton's guitar playing blew me away first time I heard his album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all put out some vital music. Clapton also has an awesome voice. Both McCartney and Clapton have certainly made their mark on pop and rock music (Clapton certainly did on the blues). Let me know what you think their strengths and weaknesses are, and if you like one more than the other, who would it be?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff J
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Guinness World Records described McCartney as the "most successful composer and recording artist of all time", with 60 gold discs and sales of over 100 million albums and 100 million singles, and as the "most successful songwriter" in United Kingdom chart history.More than 2,200 artists have covered his Beatles song "Yesterday", more than any other song in history. Wings' 1977 release "Mull of Kintyre" is one of the all-time best-selling singles in the UK. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist in March 1999, McCartney has written, or co-written 32 songs that have reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and as of 2013 he has sold over 15.5 million RIAA-certified units in the United States. McCartney, Lennon, Harrison and Starr received MBEs in 1965, and in 1997, McCartney was knighted for his services to music.

Paul McCartney is without a doubt is better than Eric Clapton all around with the only exception that i would say Eric Clapton is the better guitar player.Paul McCartney is the better over all musician and i agree one of the best Bass Players of all time.

I did see Eric Clapton in concert in back in 1979 and he it was one hell of a fantastic show he did that night and i did also see Paul McCartney in concert July 9, 2013 at Fenway Park in Boston,Massachusetts.That was my dream of a life time come true and no other concert that i have ever been to in my life will ever top that one and i have been to dozens of concerts in my life time thus far!

Both Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney are legends in the history of music without a doubt!I believe Eric

Clapton is the only (or at least the first) to be inducted into the R&RHOF 3 times.Once as a member of Cream,Derek and the Dominoes and then the 3rd time as a solo artist.(Feel free to correct me if i am wrong!)

Paul McCartney's song Yesterday is the most covered song in music history.With the song being covered more than 2,200 times.

Their strengths are everything they do and they have no weaknesses!

Birth name James Paul McCartney

Born 18 June 1942 (age 71)

Liverpool, England

Genres Rock, pop, classical, electronica

Occupations Musician, singer, songwriter, music and film producer, businessman

Instruments Vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, drums

Years active 1957–present

Labels Apple, Capitol, Columbia, Decca, Hear Music, Parlophone, Polydor, Swan, Vee-Jay

Associated acts The Quarrymen, the Beatles, Wings, the Fireman

Birth name Eric Patrick Clapton

Also known as Slowhand

Born 30 March 1945 (age 68)

Ripley, Surrey, England

Genres Rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock, hard rock, blues

Occupations Musician, singer-songwriter, record producer, artist

Instruments Vocals, guitar

Years active 1962–present

Labels Surfdog, Warner Bros., Reprise, Polydor, RSO, Atco, Apple

Associated acts The Yardbirds, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Powerhouse, Robert Cray, Cream, Free Creek, the Dirty Mac, Blind Faith, JJ Cale, the Plastic Ono Band, Santana, Delaney, Bonnie & Friends, Derek and the Dominos, Sheryl Crow, the Beatles, Phil Collins, the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush, Luciano Pavarotti, the Band, Freddie King, B.B. King, Mark Knopfler, Brian Wilson, John Mayer, Roger Waters, Dire Straits, Elton John, George Harrison, Steve Winwood, Paul McCartney, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Source(s): Personal experience, opinion and the Wiki pages.
  • 6 years ago

Sorry never like McCartney since he first came out with the Beatles. That does not make him bad or no good. He belonged to one of the best bands of all time. He was also a great song writer. I love some of the Beatles music when it's done by other artist.

I was raised on the blues before the Beatles ever came along. And that is why I could not get into them. As at first they were just like any other 50s rock band. And that music was not my favorite. So Clapton for me, he's right up there when it come to the blues. And McCartney is lost when it comes to the blues. As the Beatles music was never built upon the rock solid base of the blues, as Clapton was.

Just because one has a bunch of awards does not mean they are the greatest or best at what they do.

Out of all the Beatles I live Lennon and Harrison the best. As their music suits my style.

Every time I hear a McCartney song all I can think of is the Beatles, there does not seem to be any growth from the stage of his life. Even through the music is good, it's no greater than most music from that time slot.

And yes I do own all of their albums [Beatles] all bought by me on first releases, and also own most of all McCartney's earlier music. You ask why do I own that music, cause as a young man back then you had to own Beatles music if one wanted the ladies around.

As George Harrison once said: Quote: "Having played with other musicians, I don't even think The Beatles were that good." And I think you could and did answer that better than anyone else did.

So after saying all that, I can see why people like and love The Beatles music. Just the same as I can see why people liked Elvis Presley's music. It was all good.

But as I said Clapton for me. He might have sung and played the blues, but he was also a great song writer.

take care dave

• 6 years ago

Gotta go with Eric Clapton. I like his voice more and love his style of guitar playing. There's just something about rock and blues :)

I like Paul McCartney but he has more of a popish sound to me. I think Paul McCartney might be a better songwriter than old Slowhand but i still prefer Clapton.

Source(s): Who's your favorite Beatle? Mine's George. :) Layla and Something are both great songs and written about the same girl too...
  • 5 years ago

Um, like this is even a serious question. Paul has sold more recorded music than anyone, ever. I like Clapton, but Paul is in a league of his own. When people post that John was a better songwriter than Paul, I know they really don't know the Beatles. When people write that John and George are better than Paul, then I better keep my comments to myself because you know what Mom always used to say. Look, not bagging on John or George, both were extremely talented. But Hey Jude, Let It Be, Long and Winding Road, Yesterday are all Paul solo written songs. He wrote the hits that transformed the group.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • James
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Paul McCartney is hands down the greatest songwriter alive.

That said, however, I love Eric Clapton too. As far as solo artists go I also a huge fan of Pete Townshend, Robert Plant, Sting, and Peter Gabriel.

• You
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Clapton

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Paul McCartney by a long shot. Better lyrics, better melodies, better songs, more diversity with other genres, and not to mention are more powerful impact on popular music as a whole. Eric Clapton, to me, just seems to recycle the same old British blues. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent guitarist, but his stuff can get annoying after a while.

• 6 years ago

I like both of them. Lately I have been listening too Clapton more. His 2013 album wasnt very good but Paul Mmcartney albums was good

• 6 years ago

Not to disagree with you too much but I believe George and John were better than Paul.

In a fistfight Clapton would win, playing a guitar Clapton would win, singing the blues Clapton would win, in a modesty contest Clapton would win.

So who do think I think is a winner?

• Jane
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Bob Dylan

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.