promotion image of download ymail app

How to transfer stock?

When I was around 12 I bought some stock in my dad's name since I was a minor, and now I would like to transfer that stock into my Etrade account. Can anyone help me with this?

2 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    To transfer the stock into your E-Trade you must have your father provide his brokerage firm instructions to deliver this stock into your account at E-Trade. This can be done through what is called the ACATS system, E-Trade can provide you with the paper work

    If the stock is currently held by your father, he can sign the certificate, have his signature guaranteed and have the shares sent to E-trade along with a letter of authorization letting E-Trade deposit the shares into your account.

    If your father doesnot have the certificates nor are they in his account - your screwed and there is nothing you can do about it since it was illegal for your father to buy securities for you in his name or in his account.

    Source(s): from the street
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Check your question on If you don't have certificate(s) or in Dad's account,

    It is the Transfer Agent's responsibility to keep track of stock ownership. If the specific transfer agent is no longer in business the brokerage should know what to do - the stock market has a contingency plan for that. There will be a fee probably under $100. Or you could go to Shareholder Services on the company's website for advice (on share records).

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.