How to transfer stock?

When I was around 12 I bought some stock in my dad's name since I was a minor, and now I would like to transfer that stock into my Etrade account. Can anyone help me with this?

Favorite Answer

To transfer the stock into your E-Trade you must have your father provide his brokerage firm instructions to deliver this stock into your account at E-Trade. This can be done through what is called the ACATS system, E-Trade can provide you with the paper work

If the stock is currently held by your father, he can sign the certificate, have his signature guaranteed and have the shares sent to E-trade along with a letter of authorization letting E-Trade deposit the shares into your account.

If your father doesnot have the certificates nor are they in his account - your screwed and there is nothing you can do about it since it was illegal for your father to buy securities for you in his name or in his account.

Source(s): from the street

Check your question on ehow.com. If you don't have certificate(s) or in Dad's account,

It is the Transfer Agent's responsibility to keep track of stock ownership. If the specific transfer agent is no longer in business the brokerage should know what to do - the stock market has a contingency plan for that. There will be a fee probably under $100. Or you could go to Shareholder Services on the company's website for advice (on share records).