Did you know that Joseph Smith used a stone in a hat to translate the Book of Mormon?

The Mormon church officially admitted this recently. This essay at the LDS website was approved by the First Presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles. http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng The magic stone was not the Urim and Thummin or the interprers: "The other instrument,... show more The Mormon church officially admitted this recently. This essay at the LDS website was approved by the First Presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles.
http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng

The magic stone was not the Urim and Thummin or the interprers:

"The other instrument, which Joseph Smith discovered in the ground years before he retrieved the gold plates, was a small oval stone, or “seer stone.”"

"Apparently for convenience, Joseph often translated with the single seer stone rather than the two stones bound together to form the interpreters. These two instruments—the interpreters and the seer stone—were apparently interchangeable and worked in much the same way such that, in the course of time, Joseph Smith and his associates often used the term “Urim and Thummim” to refer to the single stone as well as the interpreters."

The essay admits that Joe used that same stone to look for buried treasure:

"As a young man during the 1820s, Joseph Smith, like others in his day, used a seer stone to look for lost objects and buried treasure. As Joseph grew to understand his prophetic calling, he learned that he could use this stone for the higher purpose of translating scripture."

This 1830 newspaper story tells how a young man before Joseph Smith used a stone to trick people out of their money.
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/utils/getfile/collection/BOMP/id/230/filename/330.pdf

There were laws against pretending to locate lost objects and buried treasure. Joe broke the law with that stone and was arrested in 1826, then turned around and used the same stone to allegedly translate the Book of Mormon.

How can anyone be comfortable with a god who allowed the use of fraud methods to translate an alleged ancient record of America?
Update: @Lou G Are you trying to lend support to a 19th century fraud that used a stone in a hat and ended up claiming Native Americans were from Hebrews?
Update 2: @rrosskopf The gig is up. You are only trying to convince yourself.
Update 3: @Joshy - Isaac Stowell's nephew was well within the law to bring charges against Joe for attempting to defraud his uncle. Doesn't matter is Stowell believed Joe, the law didn't excuse the perpetrator just because the victim was bamboozled. Seer stone use for treasure digging was not a common practice... show more @Joshy - Isaac Stowell's nephew was well within the law to bring charges against Joe for attempting to defraud his uncle. Doesn't matter is Stowell believed Joe, the law didn't excuse the perpetrator just because the victim was bamboozled. Seer stone use for treasure digging was not a common practice except among a small number of superstitious and gullible people who were inevitably taken advantage of. That was why the law was maintained, even after witchcraft laws were rescinded.

In my youth the use of a hat with this stone was denied by the LDS church. It was boldly declared an anti-Mormon lie, and this Improvement Era article was referenced to by the older folks:
http://archive.org/stream/improvementera4210unse#page/n57/mode/2up

You had not yet been born when I was trying to doubt my doubts in those years. A few days ago your leaders approved this latest essay. Anti-Mormons had been right all along while Mormon leaders had been denying it.

There is no enigma to the
Update 4: There is no enigma to the Book of Mormon. You ask for my take, but I have made it quite clear on many other answers, such as this one: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131226230406AA2j36V LDS leaders deny unpleasant facts until forced to admit the truth. Even then, a spin is put on the truth to try... show more There is no enigma to the Book of Mormon. You ask for my take, but I have made it quite clear on many other answers, such as this one:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131226230406AA2j36V

LDS leaders deny unpleasant facts until forced to admit the truth. Even then, a spin is put on the truth to try to obfuscate the issues.
Update 5: @Penny Lane "Perhaps the rock was a freaking iPhone, for all we know". OMG, did you really just say that? Is that kind of response going to become typical with those Mormons who remain members and to try to believe in this unbelievable hoax? Penny Lane, numerous witnesses including Joe's wife saw him... show more @Penny Lane "Perhaps the rock was a freaking iPhone, for all we know". OMG, did you really just say that? Is that kind of response going to become typical with those Mormons who remain members and to try to believe in this unbelievable hoax? Penny Lane, numerous witnesses including Joe's wife saw him use a stone, not an iphone. Your church now admits the truth but they did not in my childhood and have resisted coming clean. Even now they are resisting by putting a spin on the facts. Your church is slowly dying. The Book of Mormon is racist and morally condemnable and needs to be renounced and discarded. You are not qualified to preach to me about being honest.
Update 6: @Publius Your church has tried for many years to deny the hat and stone. No artwork depicting the translation has ever shown the hat and stone method. Members have been led to believe that the stone in the hat was an anti-Mormon lie. The Improvement Era article of 1939 attempted to deny it.... show more @Publius Your church has tried for many years to deny the hat and stone. No artwork depicting the translation has ever shown the hat and stone method. Members have been led to believe that the stone in the hat was an anti-Mormon lie. The Improvement Era article of 1939 attempted to deny it.
http://archive.org/stream/improvementera4210unse#page/n57/mode/2up

The so-called seer stone had been used by conmen in the late 18th and early 19th century in New England to part fools from their money. That is why the law was in place at the time Joe was arrested. Why would an alleged prophet of god use the same stone that caused his arrest for unlawful deception to later translate the Book of Mormon? Your answer harms your church more than it helps.
Update 7: @Joshy said "so are you about 90?" Joshy, you are losing it. I said "this Improvement Era article was referenced to by the older folk". Next, you try to say that the hat is described, but now you are being disingenuous. The article clearly ends with "In the opinion of the writer, the... show more @Joshy said "so are you about 90?" Joshy, you are losing it. I said "this Improvement Era article was referenced to by the older folk". Next, you try to say that the hat is described, but now you are being disingenuous. The article clearly ends with "In the opinion of the writer, the Prophet used no seer stone in translating the Book of Mormon, neither did he translate in the manner described by David Whitmer and Martin Harris.
Update 8: Joshy said "even if Stowell's nephew accused Smith of something long after the fact". You are either ignorant of the trial or are intentionally trying to mislead. It was his nephew that filed charges causing the 1826 arrest. You said "Issac Hale consented for Joseph to marry his daughter".... show more Joshy said "even if Stowell's nephew accused Smith of something long after the fact". You are either ignorant of the trial or are intentionally trying to mislead. It was his nephew that filed charges causing the 1826 arrest. You said "Issac Hale consented for Joseph to marry his daughter". No, he did not. Joe and Emma ran away to be married.
http://archive.org/stream/bywaygleanings00clarrich#page/242/mode/2up

Joshy, the jig is up. Quit distorting what I say and stop making erroneous statements.
14 answers 14