Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Nocturna asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Does 'Martin Freeman' make the best choice for Bilbo Baggins?

Or would someone else, in your opinion, be better for the role of Bilbo?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Fitz
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Before the films even came out and they announced Martin Freeman as the role, I thought, "He's perfect, and I never would have thought of him."

What's funny, is that I thought the exact same thing about his role in Hitchhiker's Guide ... both books I LOVE ... and both roles done marvellously by Martin Freeman

The only thing I would change ... is he should have put on a little weight before filming. Bilbo is supposed to be a little chubby.

• 7 years ago

I think Martin Freeman makes a perfect Bilbo Baggins! I think he's very believable as Bilbo and he makes a really good hero to the story. I loved his scene with Andy Serkis as Gollum in the first Hobbit film. They both did a great job building up the intensity of the scene while still staying in complete character.

• 7 years ago

I wasn't sure how I would feel about him in the role when they announced it while making the first film. However, after seeing both films I'm not sure anyone else would have been able to pull it off. He seems to really understand the character and is able to show that in his mannerisms while being Bilbo - something that was important when considering his lines didn't dominate the dialogue in Desolation of Smaug. I admire him as an actor, and have seem him in other things. Apart from that, he has been able to create a distinct character in Bilbo apart from other roles.

• 7 years ago

Martin is the perfect bilbo baggins

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.