Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 7 years ago

Is an HIV lancet re-usable? and can it infect people if it has an HIV patient's blood on it?

I've heard that a lancet is designed in such a way that it can only be used once but I've also heard of people who've reused a lancet. So I have two questions:

1. Can it be reused? (Please don't tell me that nurses are profesionals and know about standard precautions because mistakes do happen)

2. If the lancet had blood that's infected with HIV, could it infect someone who used it???

Favorite Answer

The instructions are to use every lancet only once. But I use lancets over and over, but just for myself. Sharing lancets between people is a definite no-no. There are lots of diseases you can share in blood besides HIV.

When people see me use my glucometer they almost always say 'Hey, test me too!' And I always pop in a new lancet, then throw it away. It's the only time I change the lancet.

Testing a 'normal' person is a good way to test the accuracy of the glucometer! Normal people are always exactly 100. 8^)

You should never re-use a lancet. And yes, you can infect others if the HIV contaminated lancet comes in contact with another person's blood stream.