What did Thranduil want in the movie `The Hobbit:Desolation of Smaug`?

Normally I'm fairly good at following the plot details of a movie, but I missed something in the 2nd Peter Jackson `Hobbit` movie (warning: Spoilers) When Thranduil is interviewing (or interrogating, however you want to look at it) Thorin, he says that he will offer Thorin all the aid he could require provided... show more Normally I'm fairly good at following the plot details of a movie, but I missed something in the 2nd Peter Jackson `Hobbit` movie (warning: Spoilers)

When Thranduil is interviewing (or interrogating, however you want to look at it) Thorin, he says that he will offer Thorin all the aid he could require provided that the dwarf hands over something that sounded like `all the pretty white stars`. Presumably he wasn't asking for the Arkenstone, so what did he want exactly (and remember, this is asking about what he says in the *film*, not the book)?

Later when you see the ridiculous (and even the word `ridiculous` doesn't convey how over-the-top it is) amount of treasure inside Erebor, it doesn't make any real sense that Thorin wouldn't just give Thranduil whatever he wanted outside of the Arkenstone. I suppose it's just as well that Smaug has all that gold locked up inside the mountain, if it ever got out, the Middle Earth economy would crash.