Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 7 years ago

Help with hair bleaching? I've never done it before?

I have virgin jet black hair which is fairly thick, neither I or anyone I know has used bleach as none of us really go for crazy colours so I'm really worried about bleaching.

I want to dye it a lilac either dark or pastel I'm not sure yet I'm really worried about dying as I've heard it goes really dry and can go bad as to falling out and being a bunch of split end mess. If I do buy bleach I plan on testing it first and slowly working throughout my hair (from a small section working higher and higher)

What kind of bleach do you recommend? I have no clue about toners and what not. I was thinking of using this bleach > http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Bleach-Tota...

Any bleach which is recommended has to be ones available in the UK!! Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Try Home Dye Kit, but your hair was as black as mine (when I was younger), it didn't take for me, it may even make your hair DARKER. I do not recommend you mess with toners:

From Ya member who was so depressed: "sallies beauty salon isnt really a salon is more of a hair suppply store and the beautitionist who looked and tested my hair said it would work just fine and now im left with bald spots and im only 15 will a little less than half my hair missing and white roots and bright orange red and spotted black hair that is melted up to around 2 inches from my scalp idk what to do" Another example: "Ok i know i shouldnt have but i bleached my hair last week and it came out ok it was just different shades of blonde and i wanted it o e color so i went to my beauty store and bought dye well i had a reaction to it my hair is fried and falling out help me please.... can i cut it and it will stop falling out or what do i need to do besides not EVER dye my hair again"

Style meets chemistry meets biology: We're talking hair coloring.

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

> > > Hair dye chemicals linked to cancer

London, Feb 20, 2013 I've been saying that since 2009.

Hair dyes, which include home hair colouring kits and those used at pricey salons, are linked to deadly cancer-causing chemicals, warn scientists. In 2009 the Mail revealed that women who used hair dyes more than nine times a year had a 60% greater risk of contracting blood cancer.

A year later the European Commission banned 36 hair dyes which put long-term users at risk of bladder cancer. < < < <

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time. Skin specialist Najjia Ashraf reveals that there are barely any dyes that don’t contain this toxin; even the ones who claim they don’t, are not being honest. “Big brands often escape the blame by suggesting they are ammonia-free. However, ammonia and PPD are two very different things and PPD is present in nearly every dye because it is what gives off the colour,” she explains.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND. The British woman who went into coma after a reaction to hair dye has died after a year. Updated 11-25-12. The woman suffered a heart failure, struggled for breath and became unconsciousness. Her family blamed paraphenylenediamine, a chemical found in hair colour. Her family has now called for paraphenylenediamine to be banned from home dye kits. In 2000, a 38-year-old Indian-origin woman from Birmingham, Narinder Devi, died after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Google search: Salon hair dye horror stories. About 305,000 results (0.20 seconds) OR Google Salon Hair Dye Lawsuits. About 336,000 results (0.17 seconds) Dec. 2011

When it comes to hair care treatments, product use or visits to a salon or spa, the consumer must take responsibility to do their homework and be aware of all the risks involved.

Google: January Jones: "My Hair Is Falling Out In Clumps" 1-28-13 To quote Joni Mitchell, "you don't know what you got till your thick hair is gone.

Source(s): Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe? I stand up for cancer. No allergies here, OR hair falls when I was dyeing my hair, but I had frequent migraines, the 1st one lasted 14 hours. My mom & sister also have breasts cancer, and I'm trying to be chemical-free as much as I can and watch what I put in my body. Mom started perming our hair in the 60's. Mom had bloody noses for 75 years, and doctors didn't know why, but she was diagnosed by age 89. Sister had double mastectomy by age 35, but she's been cancer free since the early 90's

I have a similar dilemma…. If someone could go to my profile that can help as well, please do!