What are some books you would recommend?

I recently got a Kindle and have been reading like crazy! I never thought I would like ebooks so much!

I have read and enjoy popular books like Harry Potter and Hunger Games, and have Divergent downloaded and ready to read. However, I'm not really in the mood for dystopian/scifi at the moment. More recently have read more "realistic" books, such as:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

The Fault In Our Stars, John Green

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wonder, R.J. Palacio

What are some books similar to these, that also don't really have excessive language and/or sexual content?

Thank you!!

Some books I've been considering are The Catcher in the Rye, Stargirl, and An Abundance of Katherines, are these good?

First - this is a useful link for finding what Kindle books are currently free at Amazon. often indie or new author books have free promo days.

http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/

And the Kindle Daily Deal is a great place to find famous or bestseller books on sale for $1.99 or $2.99

By downloading I hope you mean you are buying those ebooks. Don't ever load stolen/cracked ebooks on your Kindle - you (or your parents if it's on their account) could be banned for life from Amazon.

Fragment by Warren Fahy is an enjoyable scary science fiction. A not-very-good production company for a nature program is trying to do a program about ocean life but not finding anything good - until they stumble upon an uncharted island with strange but very dangerous animals on it.

And although ir is a bit future dystopian, I really enjoyed the Cinder series (Lunar Chronicles). I think 3 of 4 books are published so far.

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."

(subsequent books weave in character reminiscent of other fairytale characters)

• ?

An off the wall suggestion, why not develop a love for poetry whilst you have the machine.

Download an anthology or two and read one a day.

The Rattle Bag selected by Heaney and Hughes is a great place to start.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Chatroom by Kristin Butcher.

Try Jack London books. They are available for Free on the Kindle because they are out of copyright, and they are good adventures. I liked Call of the Wild and the Sea Wolf.

*if i stay - gayle forman

*where she went - gayle forman

^^ Must read these 2 and tell me what u think there amazing

*looking for alaska - John Green

i know u said not sci fi or fantacy but "The Maze Runner" is a great series

and "Catcher in the Rye" is also great!

Everything that John Green wrote and the Sherlock series by Arthur Conan Doyle. Their long and they pace you but good nonetheless.

Trust me on these.

The Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that you either like or you hate. Personally I loved Catcher in the Rye because sadly I can relate to the douche-bag of a main character. You should probably read a few pages before buying.

I have not read Stargirl or An Abundance of Katherines so I have nothing say about those books.

I recommend;

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

---

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

---

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

---

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life-which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job-Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does. That's when things start to get crazy.

At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he's just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping-until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

---

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green*

---

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

---

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

---

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?

---

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde*

The Picture of Dorian Gray is the only published novel by Oscar Wilde. It tells of a young man named Dorian Gray, the subject of a painting by artist Basil Hallward. Basil is impressed by Dorian's beauty and becomes infatuated with him, believing his beauty is responsible for a new mode in his art. Talking in Basil's garden, Dorian meets Lord Henry Wotton, a friend of Basil's, and becomes enthralled by Lord Henry's world view. Espousing a new hedonism, Lord Henry suggests the only things worth pursuing in life are beauty and fulfilment of the senses. Realising that one day his beauty will fade, Dorian cries out, expressing his desire to sell his soul to ensure the portrait Basil has painted would age rather than himself. Dorian's wish is fulfilled, plunging him into debauched acts. The portrait serves as a reminder of the effect each act has upon his soul, with each sin displayed as a disfigurement of his form, or through a sign of aging.

---

Tales from the Jazz Age by F. Scott Fitzgerald*

---

Tales of the Jazz Age (1922) is a collection of eleven short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Source(s): Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought and book descriptions on Amazon , some personal preference, and a quick search on books like The Great Gatsby. * equals books I have not read but were recommeded through sites like Amazon

TPOBAW has sexual content, don't tell me otherwise, I read it.