Advice for a new band member (piano)?

I have taken piano lessons for the last 2 years and have a very good understanding of music theory ranging from chords structure, key signatures, scales, and various playing techniques like arpeggios, etc... I've written two of my own songs entirely on piano, and another with both piano and voice. I wouldn't say I'm the most experienced player, but I am able to cover many songs well, etc...

I've been in an indie-type rock band for almost a year as its lead vocalist. Recently, I started thinking I wanted to try writing piano parts in our songs to beef up our sound and add something to it. We recently found ourselves a new guitarist who is quite the player, giving us now two guitar players, a drummer, and interestingly enough a trumpet player. I'd love to add on to the dynamic, but apart from writing vocal melodies and harmonies, I've never written music to be played alongside other instruments. I don't really know how to approach writing a piano part for one of our songs. I'm sure literature or just listening to bands with piano could inspire some ideas, but can anyone with experience give me some good advice on how to learn to do this?

I would also like to get better at playing by ear as I rely very very heavily on sheet music when it comes to learning. Any suggestions or tips? Perhaps even you could name a good band that uses piano a lot?

Favorite Answer

Um actually bands use piano.

They like using the Bass of the piano because its really rich, and deep, and reinforces the song. Also arpeggios are really necessary, because you don't play the melody which is the vocals on the piano but rather accompany it.

Listen to

Warmness On The Soul By Avenged Sevenfold (This is a piano song, really recommended.)

Neutron Star Collision By Muse

How To Save A Life By The Fray

Iridescent By Linkin Park

United States Of Eurasia (Collateral Damage) - MUSE

Interesting, but I can't think of any modern bands that use piano much, as such. Many still use keyboards, but not on a piano setting. Have you studied some of the older rock bands used both piano and organ? Check out Hitchin a Ride by Vanity fare. Be sure to find the original studio version. There are two versions, one uses a piano, the other replaces it with lead guitar, and in my opinion, the one with guitar sucks.