Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 7 years ago

Disputing Credit Report Error HELP!!!!!?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this - but I'm not really sure where to go from here. I randomly decided to check my credit report on CreditKarma, because I know of 1 account in collections.

(It's an old Sprint bill that I had asked to be sent a bill for early termination fees plus whatever else I owed. I was under the impression that after I paid that the account would be closed. Well, I paid it and then the account kept going monthly without my knowledge, so it obviously went without payment. Anyways, it got sent to collections in the amount of $323.)

I'm going to pay it in full, because I'm done dealing with it. My problem is that it's showing up twice in my credit report. CreditKarma is telling me I have 2 accounts in collections right now, which is not the case. It's showing up under 2 different collection agencies, but it's the same amount. So I know it's the same account. How do I go about getting this fixed. [picture included below incase my rambling isn't clear]

http://i41.tinypic.com/addvd5.jpg <---- PICTURE

Oh, and then how do I know which company to pay so that it no longer says I have anything in collections? I'm so confused, please help :(

Dispute it first. With both collection agencies.

And there is more than 1 reports. In fact, there are 3 of them.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Sounds like it just got sold to a new collection comapny and the old company has not updated to $0 yet. It can take months for things to update on credit reports. Months and months.

It's not an error, and there is nothing to fix. Even if there is only one debt, it is two accounts, because there is an account at every agency that tries to collect it.

To find out whom to pay, you send a letter in writing, asking which agency now owns the debt, without using the telephone. It is very important that you never talk to a collection agency on the phone.