Why is my upside-down lamp dripping?

Its one of those hanging lamps that is hanging from the ceiling. My mom walked down the steps and she said it began dripping on her back. From what I can tell, it looks like water. Any ideas on what it is? And what should I do?

Favorite Answer

Whether the steps your mom was walking on is in the home or on a porch, there's a leak in the roof above that's letting enough water in to accumulate above that lamp and drip down through the fixture itself. This is not a real safe situation, so I'd call a roofer ASAP and have them come see if there's something up there that can be patched till spring. If there's a second floor and something on the second floor that could be leaking, instead of the roof, then I'd be looking into that possibility. Whichever is the case, I'd be getting after the problem fairly quickly.

Source(s): Homeowner for over 60 years.