Windows Update freezes when installing, progress stays at 0% (windows Vista)?

I run 32 bit windows vista premium sp2.

A little over a month ago my computer began freezing randomly. I did not know the nature of the problem until I tried to install some new updates available and it froze. I concluded that since the updates were automatic, that's why it would randomly freeze. Once I isolated the problem I started trying to fix it. Here is what I know. The updates can be downloaded, but when I click the option to install, progress stays at 0% and the computer freezes. I have to force shut it down every time. No error code is given and when I look at the update history, no error code can be found on the log, it doesnt even acknowledge that I tried to install updates. I tried using the Microsoft Fixit tool found online but the program freezes when it tries to fix the problem; I also tried to run the System Update readiness tool but like the troubleshooter it also freezes when installing whatever it was trying to install. Bottom line is I have no idea what the problem is and how to fix it.. I'm not bad with computers, but so far I have not been able to figure this out. Please Help!!

It is a complete freeze, windows task manager won't even work! so no ctrl+alt+delete. Also I need to solve the problem that I can't install the updates!

• M

Have you tried resetting Windows Update Components? (See below)

Have you ever had a Norton or McAfee trial version installed on your system? According to Microsoft Technical support pages, these can sometimes mess up Windows updates. Remove them with the removal tool found on their website and try again.

If still no joy, you may want to post your own query on the Microsoft technical support web site. You can search under Windows Vista or Windows Update. Click on Participate to post your inquiry. You must have a Microsoft email (like @live.com) to use the forum.

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.healthboostpc.com/

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• jegs

Backup yor data. Format the drive and reinstall the operating system.

try pressing ctrl+alt+delete