Emily asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Is 4 to 5 years to old to spay a lab mix?

I am going to be getting a dog from a friend who is 4 or 5 years old. She is a black lab mix and has not been spayed. I was wondering if she is too old for the surgery or if she will be able to handle the surgery.

• H
    Favorite Answer

She is not too old. I'm glad that you are having her spayed. It will be the same as if she were a puppy.

Source(s): Long time dog owner

Never too old to get a dog spayed or neutered. If the dog is not being bred it actually helps prevent very serious life threatening reproductive problems. Any time is a good time for a spay. The risk gets higher as the dog ages but only due to the anesthetics. The dog is middle aged so it should be fine.

Source(s): I am a veterinary technician

Neither too old nor too young. She'll be fine.

Bear in mind spaying, while it decreases the chance of malignant mammary tumors (and almost complete eliminates benign mammary tumors) and eliminates the risk of pyometra, can increase the risk of bone cancer, thyroid problems, joint problems, etc... However, these risks are more an issue for dogs spayed too young (before their first heat), and wouldn't be a huge issue in a dog her age (there are risks to both spaying and not spaying, though - spaying at a mature age is probably actually a good way to hedge the bets between them, so she's at a good age for it).

Not too old at all. That's the usual age I get my females spayed, after they have finished their show/breeding careers.

• ?

Never too old to spay!

Well done for being responsible!

Never too old... definitely get her spayed... it is from now on that she could have problems if not spayed.

• Rae

Got my girl sprayed at 4. She had no complications and hasn't really changed attitude wise. She healed up nice and fast and barely seemed to notice she had just had surgery.