Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

Is there something wrong with me?

It feels as if I'm in a daze, like living in a video game. I'd often have to snap back into reality by becoming aware that the world around me is real. And I've been sleeping a lot more than what I'd normally sleep. I'd come home from school, sleep until dinner comes around, then I'd eat and go to sleep until the next morning. I haven't been a least bit interested in going to cadets Wednesday nights, and I've been in it the past six years and loved it. My counselor I've been talking to suggests depression, but I have nothing to be depressed about. I'm in the seventh level of conservatory for piano, I'm on the honour roll, and I've got a good family life and I've never taken drugs or alcohol. But I live with a foster family, because my biological dad is a drug addict and schizophrenic, and my mom died on my birthday last year. My birthday this year, I lost five of my family members due to drunk driving, but other than that I'm alright. I do have a past of cutting, and I haven't cut myself in two years, but lately I've been thinking about it a lot more than I do. So what's wrong with me?

Favorite Answer

So much has happened to you. I'm sorry for your losses, which you have many of. I give you a tremendous amount of credit for achieving all that you do. You are definitely an above average person in spite of what you have gone through. At your young age you have experienced more than some people do in their whole lives. Please don't be hard on yourself. It sounds like you are suffering from depression, and disassociation. Disassociation is when a person will all of a sudden feel like their not in their body or anything around them is real. I have experienced this before due to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. In order for me to get back to reality, so to speak, I would touch things around me and make sure I was were I appeared to be even though I felt like I wasn't there. This is something I worked on in Therapy, and with the help of medication I am able to live with this under control. I also suffer from bi polar, but this is different than what you are describing. I would not be surprised if you were suffering from depression and PTSS. The good news is that working with a therapist and medication will help. It is also important for you to have a support system around you. People you can trust, people who will be there for you to listen and give you the support you need to continue on with the goals you have. I am assuming you have goals in place due to your education, etc. I would also like to bring up the spiritual aspect. For me this was very important. The closer I got to God and still do the better my life is. He loves you with an everlasting love and will carry the burdens of your heart. He suffered and died so that you would not have to suffer. I don't know why these things have happened in your life but I know that Jesus will see you through so that you can live in Victory instead of a victim. I will pray for you. Please, please do not start cutting again. If you feel the temptation to do this talk to someone right away. That is what your therapist, support system is for, and pray. Our Lord is truly your Savior. He will never leave you or forsake you. He will give you the strength to face the grief you must be feeling and fill you the strength to carry on.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • Wendy

Sometimes we hear or see something which triggers a memory in our subconscious. If the memory is unpleasant, and we usually suppress it, then our subconscious will try to deal with it. It does this through dreaming.

Therefore, I believe your sleep is helping you, but it is causing you to miss out on things such as cadets, and causes you to feel "out of it' by your being drowsy all the time. You need to speak with your counsellor, as there are ways of finding out what is going on in your subconscious.

Perhaps you need to see a Psychologist who has more thorough training in how the mind works.

Maybe your just thinking about stuff to much. Maybe you focusing to hard on some things. And that's goood your on the seventh level in your piano conservatory. I'm still working on myself for the instrument. Just rest up and think positive. Pray about It.