Don asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

Athsma in the Marines? Recruiters please read?

All I've ever wanted was to be a marine for as long as I remember. I'm a junior in high school, and I havnt had an attack since I was about 6 years old. With that being said, I am medicated for Athsma daily. It's like a maintenance inhaler. I'm a linebacker, I run 5 miles every day before school and I have no difficulty breathing. The trigger for my Athsma is allergys if that matters. Will the Marines let me Inlist if my Athsma is under control? I just went a half year with no inhaler and I could still run with no attacks, but it wasn't very comfortable. Like I could survive without my inhaler no doubt, but for me to perform ontop of my game it helps to take my one puff every morning

Favorite Answer

Being on an inhaler is a permanent disqualification, with no waivers considered. You are not permitted an inhaler, and the gas chamber will kill you when you go through it with asthma.

I'm afraid you will need to consider a Plan B.

(AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness, paragraph 2-23d)

Source(s): Army Recruiting Veteran

If you need an inhaler or medication, it's a done deal. Sorry. Being such a "physically intense" service, the Marine Corps never approves any waivers for asthma…the only case I could ever see someone getting away with ever being diagnosed with asthma in their lifetime is if:

- It was a mis-diagnosis, which I have heard of

- Person has not needed any sort of medication/inhaler, nor had any documented problems with asthma at ALL past a young age (around like 9 to 12 years old)

I checked your profile. Last year you were asking if the SEAL's or MARSOC would fit you best...

Now this might just be me, but it seems as though you should have already had the answer to this question if you were actually considering such a thing. I take it you haven't done much research. Let me help you out. Asthma past age of 13= Civilian.

Having a maintenance inhaler means you have current asthma and you cannot enlist or serve in any branch, ever.

Source(s): 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran - Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Officer

No branch of the military would consider someone with asthma even if we were at the point of imposing a draft. You better start looking at alternative paths in life...

• Asthma is a no go...

Source(s): a former U.S. Marine