Christians, What is the point of being alive if all you do is work?

I really don't get it. What is the point of being alive? My life and many of the people I know is literally wake up, go to work so that you can afford to eat/house/medical, then go home and sleep so you can go to work again. It's been this way since I've been living on my own (not quite a year yet) and honestly if this is how my entire life will be I will just kill myself now. There's no point to an existence like this.

I know you are probably saying "do hobbies and things you enjoy in your time off" but I don't HAVE enough time off to do those things. I don't have time for things like video games that I used to enjoy. I really want to take music lessons but my off time is so late it's not possible to get to any around me, and I'm trying my hardest to self teach but again the lack of time makes it to where I can only practice once every two weeks. It's not really enough to get going besides I suck at self teaching.

You could also say "go to college and study for a well paying job you like" but I literally have no idea what I would study. And I can't afford it which is why I haven't gone yet (I'm 21).

Also it makes me feel bad to feel this way cause I am Christian, but I guess haven't been to church in ages. I don't even have time for church at the moment cause of my work (two jobs, 50+hours a week). It doesn't seem like that faith has ever really changed much in my life. I guess it affected my moral sense, but other than that I don't see it. I don't really see it in other people's lives either.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I am kind of looking for a Christian perspective since that is still important to me, but any answers are welcome.

• Moi

Solomon wondered the same thing. And this was his final conclusion

Ecc 6:3 A man might have a hundred children and live to be very old. But if he finds no satisfaction in life and doesn't even get a decent burial, it would have been better for him to be born dead.

Ecc 6:4 His birth would have been meaningless, and he would have ended in darkness. He wouldn't even have had a name,

Ecc 6:5 and he would never have seen the sun or known of its existence. Yet he would have had more peace than in growing up to be an unhappy man.

Ecc 6:6 He might live a thousand years twice over but still not find contentment. And since he must die like everyone else—well, what's the use?

Ecc 6:7 All people spend their lives scratching for food, but they never seem to have enough.

==========

Ecc 12:13 Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone's duty.

Ecc 12:14 God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad.

• 7-52pm

The true purpose of this life is to qualify for the after life. This can be accomplished by being born again in the name of Christ living in the word of God.

We do not have to work 50hrs a week to accomplish this purpose, we work because the society we live in demands that we work. only a very few people realise this, most of us hate to feel socially excluded so we are driven the lead the same lifestyle as the area we live in.

Most of us should aspire to live as the monks do, just live of the earth with no material worries. because if you spend all your time focused on other things, you will have no time for God thus lacking in spiritual growth

• Sara

College: get a Pell Grant. Depending upon your income, they pay for your college and then some. Look it up online. It's a government program, and you can easily apply online, without anyone's help.

Don't work 50+ hours a week. You won't be able to even do online courses full time unless you're working 40 hours or less a week. I worked 36-38 a week and took full-time classes, and it was pretty intense, but I did it.

Remember, you can do all things in Christ "who strengtheneth me."

That pretty much sums up life, work. But you can help others along the way, and yourself. If you really have to work so much, perhaps try & get more education, get into another field or do something that you can increase your earning power so you don't have to work so much. But, for most people, life is all about work and little play. The funny part is our greatest personal growth will come because of work.

that attitude still exists in religion because when Christianity was made up 2000 years ago that's all there was to do.....