New years eve traffic from Phoenix to Vegas?!?

I am going to vegas for new years eve on the 30th (tomorrow) from Phoenix... I've heard traffic is terrible on the 31st, but was wondering if anyone has experience driving there on the 30th? How long it will take? We are planning on leaving around 11 and have a show at 8... do you think we will be okay on time?? It normally takes about 5 hours. Thank you in advance!

Favorite Answer

New Year's Eve is Tuesday; not Monday. Yes, traffic will be horrible around the strip which will close down around 6pm. Expect it to take at least 45 minute to find a parking space alone (whether you self park or wait for valet) once you arrive. Then you will have to walk through the hotel/ casino to check in, check in (which could take up to an hour), get up to your room (15 to 20 minutes), drop off your luggage, navigate out the hotel (another 15 - 20 minutes), go for something to eat which could also be a long wait (I've waited over 2 hours for the Paris buffet the day before Christmas Eve), and then go find your show (time varies but will be at least 30 to 45 minutes). All this doesn't include navigating street traffic on the way to your hotel. I'd leave earlier like tomorrow.

Source(s): Live in Las Vegas; Just had a stay in a strip hotel from 12/22 to 12/24. Everything was mobbed. Expect New Year's Eve to be 10X's worse.